Terrydabassman

Confused about Laquer Paints

Terry,

Most laquer paints have been phased out but you can still find some. I use mostly automotive laquer on my lures....I like it cause it dries so quick. You can add a little color to clear laquer to make it more transparent.....but if you add a little color to laquer thinner all your gonna get is thin paint. Don't use any laquer over enamel or it will bust it up.

Good Luck

Tuff-Tackle

I'm looking for a good source for laquer as well, any places to buy online?

I would try http://taxidermy.com They have an extensive selection of excellent laquers and a very helpful staff...plus I like to use the same stuff the taxidermists use to recreate the wildlife. Lacquer is fun, fun, fun. Have it as thin as skim milk and it sprays like a dream, just remember that it is alot more dangerous to work with than acrylics, especially lacquer thinner so have lots of ventilation, keep the open flames to a minimum, follow all the manufactures directions, etc, etc. JIM

I'm looking for a good source for laquer as well, any places to buy online?

Hmm...

We sell a lot of lacquers to the tackle industry and anglers! You can get some very nice results from lacquers. Very versatile paint.

If you are new to painting lacquer, please do as suggested and treat it like you are spraying a toxic substance - 'cause you are! Like Celticav says, lots of ventilation, no open flames, etc...

Not trying to scare you away from lacquer, but I always thought it was better to have a healthy return customer than a dead one-time customer!

Hope this helps!

d|:^)

Dick

I'm familiar with the hazzards, I have painted in the auto industry before and used Urethanes and Enamels. They have gotten completely away from laquer in that industry and thats why i have not used it before, and also why i didn't know where to find it. Thanks I'll check out your site.

Lacquers can still be found. Check the auto paint stores and you can still find some from the old stock. Mostly Urathanes are used now. Dick Nite does have some nice paints. I have used them before and they spray better than most of the other paints that I have used. He will also tell you how to thin it and clean up. I use the Pactra paints that are used for RC Cars. There is not allot of color options but there are enough. Get a respirator. You will use 4 times more thinner than you will paint. But it dries very quickly and you can control it much better.

Skeeter