Tally

very new to plastic

sorry to have to ask but I searched and can't find a thread.  I will be using 4 ounces of plastic and need some starting points.  How long do I need to microwave?  how many drops of color? how much salt ?  is the color and salt added before or after heating?  Thanks in advance for getting me headed in the right direction.  Tally

1 hour ago, Tally said:

sorry to have to ask but I searched and can't find a thread.  I will be using 4 ounces of plastic and need some starting points.  How long do I need to microwave?  how many drops of color? how much salt ?  is the color and salt added before or after heating?  Thanks in advance for getting me headed in the right direction.  Tally

for 1/2 a cup go 1 minute at a time. once it starts to thicken and turn clear  i'd probably start microwaving in 30 second intervals so that it doesn't burn.   take temp and ensure you're at 350 before shooting it.

how many drops? depends on the color you're using and depends on how transparent/opaque you want the color.  start with 1 drop considering the amount of plastic youre using. stir it in with a butterknife or something and check the knife to ensure your color looks right to you. you determine how many drops go in depending on how you want your color to look. 

I dont use salt but if I did, id probably add it after. 

what are you making?

2 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

A cheap digital thermometer from Amazon.  Stir the plastic before you take it's temp, because microwaves heat from the inside out, so you won't get a true temp if you just measure the surface.

that you stick in the plastic?  or is that a thermal?  thanks Mark

Big thanks to u guys and this site again.  between the search and a few simple questions and answers, I poured my first soft plastic.  One lesson learned and dumb on my part...... shake the color well before adding ......   I am very happy with the hardness of the plastic even with salt and glitter added.  The test will be on the water to see how well they hold up to a hook.  Again, thanks for the help!!  I am sure I will have more question in the future lol

• Like 1