Glideb8

Lureworks SB Coat questions

Hey everybody.

I have some specific questions about using the SB line from Lureworks.  I've called them a bunch of times to ask, but every single time I get voicemail and no call backs.  Of course I'll be using a respirator.  I always do when I airbrush anyways.

I've already used their CoLure coat paint which is water based, but it just takes forever to dry and I'm only going to be painting accents and things like the backs of soft plastics if they are fish profiles, shad kill dots, accent colors in certain places, etc.  So with all of that out of the way, now for the questions:

-It was mentioned in another very recent thread, but the clear 3000 was being used as a top coat.  My question is how long does the clear 3000 take to dry because the OP of that topic said that it was still tacky overnight.

-How long does it take for the normal SB paints to dry with or without thinner?  I thought I had read here that it took about 30 minutes to dry. 

-If you apply regular SB paint with a brush, will it run all over or do I have to buy the thicker, Clear Dotting 3033?

-Airbrush clogs always happen, but even with using the SB Thinner 3001, how bad does the SB paint dry or clog the airbrush?  I'm planning on using my Iwata HP CS unless I should get something else just dedicated for the SB paint and thinner.

I think that's it for now.  Thanks in advance!

-It was mentioned in another very recent thread, but the clear 3000 was being used as a top coat.  My question is how long does the clear 3000 take to dry because the OP of that topic said that it was still tacky overnight.

SB paints dry fairly quick, usually you can handle them in 5 to 10 minutes. Dry time is affected by how much paint you lay down and ambient conditions as well. Some residual tail solvent will take longer to completely leave and it is recommended to let them dry over night before packing if doing so. As far as the other Post there is something else going on as it shouldnt be tacky, need more info on that one.

How long does it take for the normal SB paints to dry with or without thinner?  I thought I had read here that it took about 30 minutes to dry. 

See above. Same applies to for all SB paints as Clear 3000. The addition of SB Coat Retarder if needed will slow dry time, the amount added will determine the final dry time. The process of handling or fishing a recently painted bait should be treated different than if you package them for storage or re-sale. This is where a over night dry time should be practiced to avoid "fumes" becoming entrapped in the packaging imparting a less than pleasant smell; even though the paint is dry and should have no issue with adhesion its the smell is what you want to avoid for obvious reasons.

-If you apply regular SB paint with a brush, will it run all over or do I have to buy the thicker, Clear Dotting 3033?

If by "brush" you mean an actual paint brush and not airbrush then note the following: Since the SB Coat series is solvent based it can re-wet underlying paint layers which can ruin your pattern if you over work an area. Unless you have a technique that works or your pattern requires the use of a paint brush for detail work an airbrush works best. Obviously any paint can run if you apply too much either by brush or air brush. Controlling the flow or amount you load into the brush like all paints is the best method, as well as how fast you pass with your airbrush. The Dotting series are better designed for detail work since the are thicker and have a higher pigment load for coverage; trout speckles is a good example if you dont want to use a template and want that hand crafted look. The Clear SB Coat Dotting is designed so you can mix your own colors in and create your own custom colors as needed.

-Airbrush clogs always happen, but even with using the SB Thinner 3001, how bad does the SB paint dry or clog the airbrush?  I'm planning on using my Iwata HP CS unless I should get something else just dedicated for the SB paint and thinner.

SB Coat paint can build up on the tip like all paints but usually doesnt clog as in dry in the airbrush unless you forget about it and leave it for hours. Most clogging issues arise with Pearl colors or even Fluorescent colors as the pigments can jam in the needle orifice. Needle size and orifice size may need to be swapped for a larger size, or open up the needle to allow more material through. While still wet Acetone can work for clean up, If dried it is recommended to use the SB Thinner 3001 as it is more aggressive and can re-solvate dried paint. Regular lacquer thinners are not recommended as they can be incompatible or may not be aggressive enough to re-wet dried paint. As far as I know most all airbrushed are designed to handle solvent based paints. There shouldn't be a need to purchase a separate airbrush unless that is your preference.

Do note LureWorks is blessed to be busier than ever in this crazy 2020 Covid-19 year. Just understand that the sheer volume of inquires and orders has made it difficult to respond in a timely manner.

Let me know if you have additional questions. 

• Like 4