4/0

Hagens tool question

Kasil,

Appreciate the reply.

Some guys down here in the southeast carry those on their boat. They work ok  with #5 malin wire to make a couple. If you rig for Wahoo you are using #9 Malin wire and you will wear you fingers out pretty quick.

I was thinking more around starting out with a couple hundred but for what they want for the Dubro I'll be lone gone before I recover any of that cost.

I have a couple other rigs that I'm going to make that just require a barrel wrap. So I'll weigh the Hagens vs the Twistech.

Thanks,

4/0

The Hagen's will set you back ~$170 plus shipping.

The Dubro ez twist lists for ~$212 on Amazon and with prime ships for free.

If the haywire twist is important to you then you'll have to decide if the extra $42 is worth it to you.

Owning both a Hagen's and a Twistech I would choose the Twistech which retails for ~$95.

But I have no need for the haywire twist.

If I did the Dubro starts to look like a good option at that point.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BK7P03O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_I9urFbSP34F2N

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

It beats me why people would spend so much money on a tool to do such a simple job as a haywire twist. If you want speed, a simple jig can be made. but even hand wrapping a barrel twist is not that time consuming.

Of course, for more complex wire forms and shapes for jigs yes, I get it. But, even jigs for these can be made with a little thought.

Sorry if I ruffle any feathers :)

Dave

Kasil,

Thanks for your time on this. I looked at that unit and almost bought it until I read the description.

Product Description

Make your own custom Barrel wrap wire leaders with ease. The E/Z Twist Pro is so simple to use, you will be able to make hundreds of leaders in no time. In fact, some of our customers have sold their leaders to tackle shops to generate extra income. No longer will you search for the perfect length leader for your rigs, simply make your own and always have them ready when you are. Wraps are consistent and look professional. This model wraps wire from 5 to 15 gauge. Make the eye right on the unit, no extra tools needed. All replacement parts available. MAKES BARREL WRAP TWIST ONLY (NOT HAYWIRE TWIST). For Haywire Twist, see #1250 and 1251

The Dubro site has a different "Head" that you can buy to convert it to haywire twist for about 65.00 including shipping. I think I'm going to hold on this and decide between the Hagen and the Twistech. I believe the Hagen can make R bends for spinners but I will not be going there. I could possibly make umbrella rigs, they are very popular here trolling for Spanish macks. The Hagen might be a better choice for that. I'm not sure about that yet.

Vodkaman,

No feathers ruffled here. I've used the Dubro Pro before and you make a single double hook rig pretty quickly. That involves four twists.  In your spread for trolling you would have one double or sometimes a triple pogie rig ( pulling two or three live baits in a row on the same rig 12" to 16" apart).  A triple rig is eight twists and six trebles with the swivel.  So the twister is nice to have. 

Thanks,

4/0

I make my own harnesses for arigs on my Hagens. It’s a nice tool but I’m sure others would work too. It will make R  bends for spinnerbaits. The haywire, I’m not sure about.

edit to include adaptor info.

Hagens makes an adapter that fits their professional wire former. It’s called the Haywire Twist Knot Wedge Adapter. On their website it’s 23.00USD and some change. 

Edited by Apdriver
Content added

22 hours ago, Apdriver said:

I make my own harnesses for arigs on my Hagens. It’s a nice tool but I’m sure others would work too. It will make R  bends for spinnerbaits. The haywire, I’m not sure about.

edit to include adaptor info.

Hagens makes an adapter that fits their professional wire former. It’s called the Haywire Twist Knot Wedge Adapter. On their website it’s 23.00USD and some change. 

Perfect.

Do-it has one that is 153.50 shipped ( without the adapter). Seems to be the best number I can find. Hagens site is 173.20.

Believe that I will have more versatility with this tool than the other options.

Thanks,

4/0

Thought I would give an update on the Hagen's wire former. 

It will not make the haywire twists with light wire. I need to use the AFW #5 wire which is .014 .

https://afwfishing.com/afw_products/S05C-25.asp

I emailed Hagen's and they replied ( promptly) that the adaptor is not made for light wire.

I played around with it and it does make the bends and wraps very good.

So back to square one with the haywire twists. Last big tournament is next week so that will be it for the year here.

Yes. I was disappointed but it is a nice well made tool and I appreciate that.

I have been intrigued by some of these inline spinners I see guys making here. The feather one are neat. Think they might be good for Speckled trout and maybe Redfish here inshore.  I can experiment later with this tool doing that and whatever else comes up.

Hagens wire former 001.JPG

Edited by 4/0
add picture