Thejames

Resin peeling

Im having issues with resin peeling off my lures. I use art resin and after a couple of hours use the resin goes soft and peels off the lure. The lures are made from mahogany, sealed with ca, painted with acrylic paint then given a coat of art resin. 

Any advice would be greatly apreciated. 

It shouldn't make a difference.

Peel off the resin coat. Clean the surface and thoroughly dry. Apply Devcon 30 minute (D2T). There are plenty of posts about applying D2T. Find another use for the art resin.

Do you have a link to the resin, I would like to read?

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

5 hours ago, Thejames said:

Im having issues with resin peeling off my lures. I use art resin and after a couple of hours use the resin goes soft and peels off the lure. The lures are made from mahogany, sealed with ca, painted with acrylic paint then given a coat of art resin. 

Any advice would be greatly apreciated. 

How long are you allowing the baits to cure after applying the epoxy? 

Can you put up any pictures of the baits to show what it looks like? 

Are these baits in contact with anything else? I've heard that some things like soft plastics can cause a chemical reaction that causes the topcoat to melt off. It shouldn't happen with epoxy but a link to the exact product you have would be helpful as well.

Usually test the lures a day after the resin has fully hardened. Maybe the water is getting in through a scratch or something? Or im testing them too soon? It has happened with gorilla resin too but I know that is not water proof. 

How many coats of resin do you guys use? 

12 minutes ago, LHL said:

How long are you allowing the baits to cure after applying the epoxy? 

Can you put up any pictures of the baits to show what it looks like? 

Are these baits in contact with anything else? I've heard that some things like soft plastics can cause a chemical reaction that causes the topcoat to melt off. It shouldn't happen with epoxy but a link to the exact product you have would be helpful as well.

https://www.artresin.com

I have my doubts about this product.

Yes, the data says that water solubility is negligible. I read another article that required 2 - 7 days curing.

The cleaning instruction of use of water does not inspire confidence.

Sure, try the 7 day cure, but my advice is to move on. You do not need guesswork with a topcoat, you need confidence.

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thejames said:

Usually test the lures a day after the resin has fully hardened. Maybe the water is getting in through a scratch or something? Or im testing them too soon? It has happened with gorilla resin too but I know that is not water proof. 

How many coats of resin do you guys use? 

The tech sheet for artresin (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0770/0749/files/ArtResin-Technical-Data-ENG-FR-ES-DEU-ITL-DUT-Nov2019.pdf?1111) says 24 hours to harden but 72 hours to fully cure. Maybe you're testing them too soon?

1 coat of epoxy is plenty for a test but large toothy critters will eat through it. For bass fishing 1 coat is plenty but for musky typically 3-5 coats is needed.

32 minutes ago, Vodkaman said:

I have my doubts about this product.

Yes, the data says that water solubility is negligible. I read another article that required 2 - 7 days curing.

The cleaning instruction of use of water does not inspire confidence.

Sure, try the 7 day cure, but my advice is to move on. You do not need guesswork with a topcoat, you need confidence.

Dave

Thanks mate. What resin would you advise? I need something I can buy in larger amounts 

I find that Etex Lite is too soft for my personal preference. Even weeks after curing I can still put a significant dent in it with my fingernail. 

You can buy most commercially available epoxy in gallon jugs if you want bulk. EX-74 is what was recommended to me and so far I really like it. I just need to find some hand pumps that will fit the neck of the bottles to make it easier to dispense.... 

I use E-tex lite on my musky lures and KBS on my 6" and under.  One must give any top coat time to cure if in a high humidity area then it takes longer even when mixing the humidity is getting into the resin, I found to use as much plastic for mixing, in other words don't use a paper cup it holds water not much but its there. Plastic stiring sticks  are better, you can make them out of clothes  hangers and use them over and over. Seems to be a little picky yes, I even have a hot box for curing in the summer and not needed in the Oct. thru April months when humidity is low best time for airbrushing. I think I tried them all and have settled on these two.

Wayne

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ravenlures said:

I use E-tex lite on my musky lures and KBS on my 6" and under.  One must give any top coat time to cure if in a high humidity area then it takes longer even when mixing the humidity is getting into the resin, I found to use as much plastic for mixing, in other words don't use a paper cup it holds water not much but its there. Plastic stiring sticks  are better, you can make them out of clothes  hangers and use them over and over. Seems to be a little picky yes, I even have a hot box for curing in the summer and not needed in the Oct. thru April months when humidity is low best time for airbrushing. I think I tried them all and have settled on these two.

Wayne

Well.... I have a fish tank in my workshop under my drying cupboard. That could be part of the problem. 

I took this from the FAQ page at the site where you buy your resin. It would seem that it's a standard 1:1 mixture of epoxy resin similar to what is available anywhere. Before I move to UV resin I used epoxy, another brand but epoxy I found it to be very good. I simply moved to UV because of the convenience. I'm not sure what's up with yours but epoxies I've used have been good.

1. Can I use ArtResin to coat fishing lures?

• Using ArtResin Epoxy Resin on a Fishing Lure
    • Yes. ArtResin epoxy resin is very durable and waterproof. Once cured, the resin is inert and therefore does not pose a threat to aquatic life. Although it can be indented with a fingernail in the first few days after curing, it is not typically able to be indented after the first 72 hour window. ArtResin epoxy resin has been shown in third party lab tests to outperform other epoxy resins in terms of non-yellowing longevity, resulting in a realistic-looking lure that will last.
  • Like 1