Glideb8

Tamco HC 9500

I was thinking of using this to clear some swimbaits because the clear needs to be really thin.  This is a door hinge swimbait, so I can't have any thick epoxy interfering with the door hinge.  I've already tried a very thin coat of BSI 20 and even that was too thick and the door hinge didn't work properly like I thought.  Anybody else using this?  I was thinking of buying a spray gun at Home Depot or Lowes just so I didn't have to use my main airbrush to spray it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, AZ Fisher said:

I've used Spraymax 1K  before on a soft bait with success, I'm sure it would work on a hardbait. I also use a HF small gravity HVLP gun to spray auto clear with great results and they're pretty cheap, I think $10 with a coupon. Sounds real cheap but they work...

What kind of auto clear do you use?  The main reason why I never wanted to mess with it was the toxicity.  Even though I have a good respirator, I really want to be cautious if I'm going to use it.

This stuff is no worse than KBS odorwise IMO, I wear a respirator for both, I do spray outside. I was aways hesitant as well, but more from a clean-up standpoint, having to use lacquer thinner to clean everything up..   Easier to work with, with the exception of dipping,  shelf stable, mix 2:1 , mix only as much as you need, spray lite tack coat and then spray several heavier coats, 10 min between coats. No rotating needed and it's cheaper than KBS in the long run and you don't have to worry about it "Going off", no Bloxygen needed. Now it does cost more up front than a quart of KBS, but long term it's cheaper. I got approx 1 3/4 gal for $150, but I can use evey bit of it with no waste. I wish I hadn't wasted so much time with KBS.  It's nowhere close to being as durable as D2T tho...hope this helps... I paint larger resin swimbaits BTW

101_2152.JPG

Edited by AZ Fisher
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AZ Fisher said:

This stuff is no worse than KBS odorwise IMO, I wear a respirator for both, I do spray outside. I was aways hesitant as well, but more from a clean-up standpoint, having to use lacquer thinner to clean everything up..   Easier to work with, with the exception of dipping,  shelf stable, mix 2:1 , mix only as much as you need, spray lite tack coat and then spray several heavier coats, 10 min between coats. No rotating needed and it's cheaper than KBS in the long run and you don't have to worry about it "Going off", no Bloxygen needed. Now it does cost more up front than a quart of KBS, but long term it's cheaper. I got approx 1 3/4 gal for $150, but I can use evey bit of it with no waste. I wish I hadn't wasted so much time with KBS.  It's nowhere close to being as durable as D2T tho...hope this helps... I paint larger resin swimbaits BTW

101_2152.JPG

Good to know. 

I used KBS  a while back and although it was easy to use, I got bubbles in places and it started going off and gelling at the top of the jar I had it in even though I sealed it and took a lot of steps to prevent that from happening.  Haven't bought another container of it.

Thanks!

I use Tamco 9500 exclusively. 2 part automotive urethane clears will give you a much thinner, more durable finish than any epoxy. Plus it looks 1000x better than any epoxy, IMO, it saturates the colors and it does not yellow. It also does not have the storage issues so many seem to have with moisture cure urethanes such as KBS. It is also very fast, I can have a batch baits ready for hardware in 45 minutes. I spray it with a Passche Talon siphon feed with a .68 nozzle at about 30psi. the standard siphon feed bottle holds enough to do 20ish crank or jerkbaits or 10ish 6-7" glides. 

The downsides are, toxicity, it requires excellent ventilation and a respirator and if you do not clean your brush WELL after spraying you might as well toss it.