gatorbait

Age cracks in wooden baits

Hello,

First of all, I am new to the board. Thanks to the owner of this site for a really interesting site. My question is this: I have some old wooden crankbaits that I fish with that are starting to show some "age lines" and small cracks etc from fishing and whatever. What is the best way to seal these age lines and cracks? I'm worried about fishing these in fear of water getting in and ruining the bait. I have heard to use finger nail polish, or spray a clear coat or dip the bait in urethane. Should epoxy be a better option? Thanks for any replies.

My guess is that you don't really want to re-paint the baits. Also, I imagine that if there are age cracks, that the paint is lifting in these areas. If it were me, I would sand the old finish off, re-prime/re-seal, paint and than top coat with an epoxy.

You could use some nail polish (which I think is just laquer), or you could use laquer, epoxy, urethane, etc., but I think you will not be happy with the results.

One of my favorite topics, lure repair. If youre considering a re-paint, I would lightly sand the cracked areas w/ 150 grit til smooth on the cracked edges, seal it with a quality wood sealer, paste in filler material in the cracks (let it cure), sand again to smooth, clean the surface and then start the painting process, finish with an epoxy clearcoat.

If you choose not to re-paint the lures and just seal the cracks, I would use an epoxy. If the baits are special to you, I would opt for repair, repaint and refinish.

Good luck, let us know how they turn out.