NilssonBaits

Painting acrylic over polyurethane

I am painting a bluegill crank bait and was wondering if i can paint the fish on the primed and sealed wood, do a coat of polyurethane, then do some detail work with acrylic paints ON TOP of the first polyurethane coat and then give another coat or two of polyurethane. Im worried the paint wont stick though... any ideas or suggestions? also i was thinking id use window screen as a stencil to make the scale patters with some gold paint.

thanks for any help!

john

I have used polyurethane to seal wood, then primed and painted with acrylic paints overtop.  It seemed to work alright, however I did not use the polyurethane on the top of the paint.  I finished these lures with epoxy, so I cant say how that would work over top of the paint.  To seal the wood, I dipped the lures in polyurethane and sanded after it was dry, twice just to seal the pours and get a smooth surface to work with.

18 minutes ago, eastman03 said:

I have used polyurethane to seal wood, then primed and painted with acrylic paints overtop.  It seemed to work alright, however I did not use the polyurethane on the top of the paint.  I finished these lures with epoxy, so I cant say how that would work over top of the paint.  To seal the wood, I dipped the lures in polyurethane and sanded after it was dry, twice just to seal the pours and get a smooth surface to work with.

Awesome! Im planning on getting some epoxy for the final coat. thanks!

• Like 1