Subvisser7

Looking for an inexpensive but high quality equipment

Your most productive colors. Me? Green pumpkin #1 watermelon #2 black #3 white#4 chartreuse #5 . the nice thing about black and white you can brighten or darken any color you want. The other nice thing is black and white are good choices for just about any water color. Green pumpkin is the #1 selling color for bass fishing last time I looked. Good for clear to stained water . Watermelon is a good clear to lightly stain water. Watermelon blue flake is my weapon of choice when the water I fish is really clear 6-10’ of clarity. Another note on color buy a color wheel and learn how to use it. With it and some basic colors you can make any color you want.

• Like 2

Awesome! My classes in color theory won’t go to waste. 

I'm thinking about getting a few colors. Black, white, red, blue, green pumpkin, and black grape.

I love the look of lure work’s phthalo blue.

i was also wondering. Is heat stabilizer something I should get? I’ve been watching YouTube videos and sometimes they add it and other times they don’t. Also, do you use a floating plastisol or a standard sinking?

I use welders gloves or the rubber coated gloves. I don’t use a respirator.i have a hood vent that moves ALOT of air. I never smell the cooking plastic at all . I want to say a respirator for organic compounds will do the trick. When I first started I use one for asbestos. Never smelled it once.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Subvisser7 said:

What is considered a medium Plastisol? I've been looking at Dead on Plastics worm blend. I'm just not sure whether I should go with the floating or sinking, white or black respectively. 

Do a search on Dead on plastic. Here’s a thread on it. Might want to read before you buy.

As far as gloves, I prefer as thin a glove as I can get away with. Reason being is wearing a heavy glove with little feel, I am more prone to dropping a Pyrex and feel That puts me at more risk than a thin glove. I like them rubberized for the best grip.

exploding Pyrex- never had it happen but some have reported it. It seemed the common theme was well worn/scratched cups being put on cold surfaces after heating. 

• Like 1

That’s a very loaded question. You’ll get lots of answers. My advice to you is to start with which ever one you like. Each one has there plus and minuses..use what works for you.Bait plastics is inexpensive and so far to me seems ok. Which might be your best choice to start. This is the way I did it when I first started. Buy cheap I would rather waste cheap plastic at 25 bucks a gallon versus something that’s 68 bucks a gallon. 

Very true. Like everything else when it’s new your going to want to play with it and experiment.i went through 2 gallons the first month filling my friends tackle boxes as well as mine. Now no so much. I make what I know I will use. I still experiment when I get a new mold, but I make stock in the winter when I can’t fish. I’ll usually make north of 1000 baits.

I was looking through some bookmarks yesterday and ran across this. If I was a just starting out looking for cheap alternatives, I think I may give these guys a try. Has anybody shot any of their molds? Anybody have any or do business with them? I’d like to hear some personal experience.

https://authentic-handmade.myshopify.com

• Like 2