Vodkaman

The Dzhanibekov Effect

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

Don't worry about that stuff design a lure that works. Then start adding the variables.   Gills and scales aren't usually an issue (ok scales can interfere with hook swing and cause premature wear/hook rash).   Fins... depending on design can kill lure action, reduce hooks ups,  pick up aquatic vegetation, get tangled in branches, reduce casting distance, etc...

The more experienced an angler becomes the more one finds out many lure makers make really pretty lures. ;)

The thing is, I'm obsessed with details. When carving my lures, I am meticulous about all the details I add. Unfortunately that makes sanding a pain. The main reason that I am interested in getting a 3d printer is so I can make molds of very detailed lures to cast them, so I can try and sell them. It will make my life much easier instead of only trying to sell my detailed wooden lures.

At the moment I'm trying to recreate a popper lure. Making the main body shape is going fine, hopefully that continues as I work on it. If anyone knows of any specific tutorials or tips for making a lure in Fusion 360, I'd love to hear them. 

4 hours ago, Leo's Lures said:

The main reason that I am interested in getting a 3d printer is so I can make molds of very detailed lures to cast them, so I can try and sell them. It will make my life much easier instead of only trying to sell my detailed wooden lures.

With my CAD system you can set up variables for all the measurements that you use. So, for example, I can change the length of a fin simply by adjusting the fin length variable. The same goes for all the measurements; length, depth, thickness and so on.

I use variables a lot in my design. For a simple lure body, I can increase the length, thickness and depth components and generate a new body shape in a minute or two. The problem comes when something goes wrong, then you have to pick your way through the build to find the problem, this is very time consuming. For a simple body it was fine, but when you have spined dorsal fins, pectoral fins, ventral fins, caudal fins, gill plates and eyes, it can all develop into a nightmare, and I haven't even begun on scales.

Building from scratch is more reliable but very time consuming and there are no time savings with the next build.

I dropped the project, but may well revisit the idea in the future. I just need a new idea spark before I delve in again. The possibilities are huge.

Dave

• Like 1

At the moment I'm trying to recreate a popper lure. Making the main body shape is going fine, hopefully that continues as I work on it. If anyone knows of any specific tutorials or tips for making a lure in Fusion 360, I'd love to hear them. 

Haven't looked  for any.  I definitely have bashed my head a few times when messing with Fusion 360.  Pretty much stuck looking for you tube videos on how to do something similar.

The main reason that I am interested in getting a 3d printer is so I can make molds of very detailed lures to cast them, so I can try and sell them. It will make my life much easier instead of only trying to sell my detailed wooden lures.

Very detailed....do your research.  

• Like 1