bribass

Faster Powder Paint ideas

Hey guys! 

Been head scratching on a faster way to powder paint lots of heads at once other than just 1 at  time. 

Over time, do any of you have some ideas on speeding up the powder paint process? 

Pics or ideas would be great! - just been chewing on some ideas 

thank you!

As mentioned, heat the unpainted jigs in bulk in a toaster oven. Have a pail of water on the floor or bench next to your work area. As soon as you dip the jig in the powder drop into the pail of water to instantly cure the paint. Once they're all painted retrieve the painted jigs from their water bath and hang them to cure in your oven. The water bath is faster than trying to hang them when they're still warm and "wet". 

3 hours ago, Unagi said:

As mentioned, heat the unpainted jigs in bulk in a toaster oven. Have a pail of water on the floor or bench next to your work area. As soon as you dip the jig in the powder drop into the pail of water to instantly cure the paint. Once they're all painted retrieve the painted jigs from their water bath and hang them to cure in your oven. The water bath is faster than trying to hang them when they're still warm and "wet". 

Won't they cool down to fast to paint? Right now I am using a heat gun then throwing them into a bowl of water. After the bowl is full I inspect, punch out powder from the eyes if necessary then bake. I can get 78 Ned heads into my toaster oven at once so I am buying a second one to help.

Allen

If i understand the question correctly, the toaster oven will heat them up just fine. They will be plenty hot and you'll have more than enough time to grab one from the toaster oven and dip the jig before it cools. You're leaving the cookie sheet (or whatever vessel) in the oven with the rest of the jigs and only taking one out individually to paint. Play with the toaster oven temp to control how thick a layer of powder you want to stick. We have all heated a jig too hot and ended up with a 1/4" of powder sticking to the jig head. I have found that the right temp is when the powder looks a bit "rough/bumpy" after it dries and before I cure the jig head. The oven cure will make the powder flow and it will be perfectly smooth when done. 

Hope this helps,

-Paul

• Thanks 1