Outlaw4

Owner Jig Hooks / loose in lead

Pouring some jigs with Owner Hooks, having an issue with the lead not wanting to bond to the hook. Thoughts? 

Using a Lee PPIV, dial on 8. Pure lead. 

On a few of the ones that were loose i tourched off the lead and repoured and then they were fine. Is there something with the coating on hooks maybe?

Usually lead doesn’t “bond” to hardened steel. It stays put because of the bend in the hook. If you demold be pulling the hook, especially on smaller baits, you can loosen the hook. Try pulling on sprue to demold. You can grab it with a pair of pliers. You may need to harden your lead a bit if this doesn’t work. 

• Like 1

10-4 thanks.

Its odd as for me it follows Owner hooks. Same for me with buzzbaits...i did a few of those this weekend and had fits with the Owner hooks and no issue with VMC's both 5/0's.

I'll have to get some more and try a few things.

I thought about the demolding thing and actually left some in the mold over night and those were loose as well, and i ladle poured those i was kind of surprised they were loose.

On 9/18/2020 at 12:53 PM, Apdriver said:

Usually lead doesn’t “bond” to hardened steel. It stays put because of the bend in the hook. If you demold be pulling the hook, especially on smaller baits, you can loosen the hook. Try pulling on sprue to demold. You can grab it with a pair of pliers. You may need to harden your lead a bit if this doesn’t work. 

X2,