4/0

Hook strength question

I have a Ultra Minnow mold that I need to get some more hooks for. Do it is spec ing a EC 570 or 575 or a Gamaktsu 604. Cadman sent me some O'shaunnesy hooks that worked and are strong enough with a long shank but these guy's down are fixated on Black Nickel. Will not buy tinned or sliver hooks for Inshore fish.

Fishing heavy stuff, oyster beds etc. big redfish are around here in another couple weeks 25-45lbs.

The 570's bend. Not sure about the 604's. I have some jigs that I got from a guy and his mold is modded for Mustad 32786BN but these are a 60 degree hook so I think they would change the way the jig fishes.

VMC ( guy's down LOVE these hooks) has the 7247 BN which will fit the mold also.

So the wire size on these hooks for 3/0 is;

Gamaktsu 604  - .042  - most $$ of all of them

VMC 7247 -          . 038  - Third most $

Mustad - 32786 - ..054  least $ big mold mod, 60 degree hook fits Manic Mullet mold too.

EC has the 570 H which .041 but it's a Bronze.

So I think I'm down to the Gamaktsu or the VMC as options ? 

Sorry got long winded here but do ya'll have any ideas on these hooks or another BN hook that I have not found.

Thanks,

4/0

Munkin,

Thanks, I need 3/ & 4/0. dang it. 

I'm going to use a 90 d hook though. I don't like the way the eye " sticks " out so far above the top of jig with the  60 D hook. Every piece of grass would find that and wrap up.

Appreciate the help,

4/0

21 hours ago, 4/0 said:

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Here is a picture of my mold with 60 degree 32786 hooks. 

I set these jigs in the mold to get an idea of the hook placement. 

modded ultra mold 003.JPG

modded ultra mold 002.JPG

If I really wanted to use the heavier Mustad hook, I'd pivot the hook so the eye is closer to the lead head, even if I wound up with the hook's shank at the bottom of the hook keeper where it enters the head or slightly exposed on the bottom.  The bait will hide any exposed hook shank.

I worked on the mold and did not destroy it. The 32833 Hooks look good I think. I do like how the eye of the hook is tight to the jig and not sticking out.  Going to order some 5/0 hooks for the 5/8's jig.

A couple pictures below.

Thanks for the help and advice.

4/0

mold mod oib storm 003.JPG

mold mod oib storm 004.JPG

Edited by 4/0
wording
  • Like 1