The Plastics Man

MF #17 Changable Motor Oil

Anyone with connections with MF know if MF have discontinued this color or just out of stock and not listed in the color chart? 
Worse case scenario , any other company out there providing a similar colorant.
Thanks  

Do you have a picture of the color? Might be able to help you make your own and never have this happen to you again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank said:

Do you have a picture of the color? Might be able to help you make your own and never have this happen to you again. 

Yeah so many different motor oils out there.  MF is a good one, though. 

Here’s  MNF not a great pic I know But it’s reddish brown whit a green hue. IMHO it looks like clean motor oil. Lol

image.jpg

It’s a cool color shift in person. I just got it so I don’t know how much the bass will like it yet.

That not like the one I have at all. But mine is old. To make it you will have to have chartreuse dye and purple or in your case brown( I am guessing). Start with a 50-50 mix and adjust from there. With purple it will give you more of a green tone while in the water it will turn reddish brown. Brown is just a guess like I said but I have seen some motor oils like that. 

The sprue on the left is MF Motor Oil, natively UV reactant. Admittingly, I'm a little heavy handed with the drops. Right image is the Motor Oil from Lureworks ( also UV reactive) . Same ratio on both. 
Lureworks just doesn't cut it 

I have not heard from MF Manufacturing since sending a facebook message ( which has been read) nor from a email sent.  

PXL_20201001_071817633.jpg

Ok looking at that picture I have a different view. This one is chartreuse DYE and purple. And again start with equal amounts and a just from there. If you use Mf colors they will get you there slower, meaning they are a weaker concentration. If you use lure works then use way less drops. I am a fan of the lure works one and have been for years. They don’t have the one I used to use anymore so I figured out how to duplicate it my self.  So in the end if you want the Mf colors use Mf colors. It will be real close. One tip is less purple will make it less green like in your pic. 

• Like 1

Appreciate you replies Frank. It's great to have such knowledge with color mixing. However, without time to go and master the mixing and matching of an established color which was readily available to purchase from MF, my main question was if anyone knew what had happened to the availability of the color. I have noticed , going by their numbering (i.e.) #17 they have dropped colors #14 #15 #16 & #17 ...... Lot of jumps and misses in their color list.

I'll need to settle for the Lureworks Motor oil if the MF variant is discontinued..... I really have no time to go into trailing different batches of colors which will not have the green up ( shifting) color and will not be consistant with what I have always made and supplied to my customers
I know times are trying with covid etc,etc but a simple reply from MF would settle my mind and I can then move on and buy an alternative. 

Stay safe 

Seems like i remember somebody saying that when MF ran out of a color   they removed it from their list until they get more in.

6 hours ago, Les Young said:

Seems like i remember somebody saying that when MF ran out of a color   they removed it from their list until they get more in.

I'm hoping so Les. I have a un opened pint , but wanting to make a purchase of more colors, I see it makes sense to stock up on my staple colors regardless. 
Here's hoping that it comes into stock once again . 

I understand no one wants to make there own colors but some people act like all colors are the same. That is far from true. So you can buy another brand but is it the same? Most of the time no. If you learn to make your own from basic colors you will not have to ask why they don’t have it. Control your own destiny. This is not a color you buy off the shelf they compound it to fit there needs. And you can too. I know cause lureworks old motor oil changed color and number.

• Like 1

Very hard (not possible?) to make color shifting colors like this. Close with highlight but not the same.

Here is a bad pic of the old Bears color.

259_0832.JPG.30a74663238b907e54f856780dfc6920.JPG

Then try it if you say it is impossible. Get a chartreuse DYE and brown or purple. Mix it 50/50 and put it in plastic and heat it. Then you will believe it is not magic. They don’t have anything we don’t when they make it. Or can’t get. 

• Like 1

Here is the old Chameleon from Bears. Are you saying we can get this same effect by mixing regular colors?

27.jpg

I am saying try it, it works. Been doing it with motor oil since Spikeit changed there motor oil. And with the last changeable color you showed yes you can don’t just throw up your hand and say it is not possible. They made it and so can you. 

• Like 1

I used to by the MF MO, but since they have been really slow on shipping, I stated experimenting and was able to match it perfectly with 70% purple (violate) and 30% Transparent Chartreuse. 

• Like 1