mark poulson

Great service from Coast Airbrush

I ordered some airbrush paint from Coast Airbrush a couple of weeks ago.

I got a phone call from them to say one of the paints was back ordered for a week, and asking if I wanted the rest shipped immediately, and the other when it came in.  I wound up waiting for everything to ship at once, and it did as soon as the back ordered paint came in.

To me, that is great customer service, so thank you, and well done, Coast Airbrush!

I ran out of a paint that I could only get from one supplier.  They are the exact opposite of Coast Airbrush.

The paint was $8, but the shipping was $14.57, and they only show the shipping cost once you've ordered and they have invoiced you.  $24.33 with tax is a lot for four oz. of paint.  Needless to say, I will be using that paint more cautiously, and searching for another supplier.

I haven't gotten an airbrush yet, but probably will at some point...

As I was looking at the different airbrushes (specifically the Iwata Neo), I noticed some are gravity fed while others are siphon fed.  What style do you prefer?  What are the pros and cons of each style (or I suppose of the style of your choice)?

If I were just starting out, I'd buy the Eclipse HP-CS with the .5mm needle conversion.

I have been airbrush painting lures for 15+ years.  I began with a Badger syphon brush.  It shoots all paints well, but it's a pain to change colors, since it involves changing paint bottles and flushing with a clean water bottle between colors.  It is also no good to me for finer detail work.  But it is what I used to use when I had a lot of lures to prime/base coat with Createx opaque white.

I almost immediately bought an Iwata HP-C Plus gravity fed airbrush, with a .3mm needle, and have used it almost exclusively since then.  Since I am no artist, I have struggled over the years with getting my paint thinned properly to shoot without clogging, and I always faced painting sessions with dread.

This year, I bought an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS, with the .5mm needle conversion.  What a difference!  It is easy to shoot most paints with minimal thinning, can shoot details by adjusting the air pressure, and, because I put the pre set handle w/cut out from an older HP-/C plus airbrush on it ($29 from Coast Airbrush),the paint flow is easy to control.  I now look forward to painting again.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Thanks 1