AKFerzy7

Poison tail underspin mod?

Hello all, I've been doing a lot of thinking about getting two poison tail molds and modifying them to accept L3886BP hooks and cutting them to accept the spoon wire forms mentioned here by another member. Thinking maybe the 30 degree hook will tangle less and on a-rigs and I know it'd be just a spinnerbait with swimbait and no skirt which I already do throw plenty I feel like I could give fish a different look so I like the option of having a weed guard.

So now that you know the why I'm begging yall for the how or if it's worth it part. The modifying the hook eye part I'm ok with, but cutting for the wire forms scare me. Has anyone ever done this on a poison tail/any 30 degree jig hook before? Did it roll or even if y'all haven't tried it before do you think the difference between the normally used 90 and 30 degree hooks would make it want to roll more? I'm assuming I want the wire forms to exit the heads as close to the keeper as possible while still leaving room for plenty of lead to enclose them. What about the lengths of the forms for the blade legs. I know to make them long enough so the blade doesnt touch the belly of the bait (I'll be mostly using swing impact fat k.o.'s) but would making those longer make the bait more or less stable? 

I apologize for the physics exam but really would love to hear any input before I got cutting 80 dollars worth of molds opposed to just buying the herring head mold. Thanks everyone, if not for this for all of the other information I've gained from you all over the years. God bless.

Edited by AKFerzy7

I have poured 1,000's of Poisontail heads with ECL3886BP hooks. These heads are super stable. I think more than the herring head. I think you will like the results of your goals. You just cant "Over Blade" the baits. There will be a blade size to jig weight ratio that will need to be figured out. You wont be able to run a #4 willow on the 1/8 oz head etc. 

Edited by 21xdc
  • Like 2

On 10/25/2020 at 4:54 AM, 21xdc said:

I have poured 1,000's of Poisontail heads with ECL3886BP hooks. These heads are super stable. I think more than the herring head. I think you will like the results of your goals. You just cant "Over Blade" the baits. There will be a blade size to jig weight ratio that will need to be figured out. You wont be able to run a #4 willow on the 1/8 oz head etc. 

This is the guy you want to talk to about modifying Do-It molds. I doubt he owns one that isn't modified in some way.

Allen

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Munkin said:

This is the guy you want to talk to about modifying Do-It molds. I doubt he owns one that isn't modified in some way.

Allen

This is true. I don't pour or make anything from a stock mold.... I have a few of everything... Almost! LOL 

• Like 1