antonio999us

Homemade tiny wooden lures for trouts

Hello anglers friends, greetings from Peru.  

It has passed long time since my last visit to the Forum. I hope you all and your families are doing well.

After more than three years without posting any video of my work in my Youtube channel,  I restarted again to work on one of my favorites hobbies which is lure making. I want to share the last lures that I’m making for trout fishing at my homeshop.

I think that the passion and emotion that every angler who ties or make a wooden lure is the same. Our common dream is to catch our beautiful preys with something done by ourselves.

This time, I want to talk and show these tiny balsa wooden lures made with the purpose to have fun when I go for catching trouts in the creeks located in Peruvian highlands.

The Attila Trout Hunter is a tiny lure made of Balsa wood, about 1 5/8” length (4cm), 5/16 oz weight (3.2gr), fantasy and natural colours, armed with #12 or #14 Gamakatsu hooks, and small 3D homemade eyes. Something important to say, each lure is “one of a kind”. To have a plenty and pleasure fishing experience using the Attila Trout Hunter, it’s needed to use a good ultralight equipment (UL rod 5.5', 6-8 lbs line, 10-12 FC leader). In this way you can be accurate when casting these light lures, and when you catch a trout feel in HD the fight with those gorgeous fishes. Something to remark, given that I love the beautiness of trouts, I always do C&R. Therefore, before to use any of these lures, first I kill all hooks barbs.

I invite you to watch my video using the below link,  and please let me know your thoughts, and give me your comments and recommendations.

Thanks,

https://youtu.be/cnfk_dn9U-E

• Like 3

On 10/29/2020 at 7:48 AM, mark poulson said:

Those are great looking lures!  The paint jobs do pop when you epoxy them, and they have great swimming action.

Good luck.

I know it's impossible, but I hope you get tired of catching fish with them!

Hello Mark, thanks for your comments!! ... trouts get crazy when they see the lures. Of course, as they are very cautious i always try to be stealthy to avoid spooke them...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Epp said:

Loved the video (though I watched with the volume off (multi-tasking?))!  Those little lures have great action!

I just started working on a similar lure:

Jerkbait.JPG

Hello Big Epp, in my case, given that I use Balsa wood, i rather to use a passthrough  wire. In this way all tension and forces are absorb by the stainless steel  wire instead the wood. The wood gives bouyancy and shape. Believe me that you will have excellent captures. It is incredible. Next time in the highlands creeks I will take my camera to record some captures and releases.

Edited by antonio999us
  • Like 2

I'm looking forward to seeing the footage!

I definitely agree with your assessment for the through-wire, especially with a wood like Balsa.  I'm trying them out of pvc, basswood, poplar, and cedar.  I'm making these in different sizes, from 1"-4.5."  The smaller ones will definitely have some sort of through-wire, but the larger ones I'll just use twist eyes.

It looks like the buoyancy of balsa really helps give your baits a great action!

• Like 1

@Rbertalotto A lot of predatory fish strike at the head of the bait.  You can get away with a single tail hook on little stuff, but I've missed fish even on little lures with no belly hook.  Additionally, the belly hook can provide a source of ballast to help keep the lure floating upright.  My thoughts at least.

• Like 1