Rbertalotto

Made my first lure tonight

Never operated a wood lathe until tonight. Sharpened the turning tools and had at it with a piece of poplar. I think it came out nice. Jigskinz for now until I master airbrush. 

The issue I had was getting enough weight into it. I drilled a couple holes on the underside and balanced with a little heads up position. But I wanted to get it to 4oz and it turned out 3.5oz.

Will be fishing it in Cape Cod Canal tomorrow!

IMG_20201104_190909096.jpg

IMG_20201104_190920506 (2).jpg

IMG_20201104_172428690.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rbertalotto said:

Never operated a wood lathe until tonight. Sharpened the turning tools and had at it with a piece of poplar. I think it came out nice. Jigskinz for now until I master airbrush. 

The issue I had was getting enough weight into it. I drilled a couple holes on the underside and balanced with a little heads up position. But I wanted to get it to 4oz and it turned out 3.5oz.

cool rberta looks like your off to a good start lure looks really good for your first attempt at turning a lure!

Density is unevenly distributed in wooden bodies. With turned bodies you have the advantage of being able to perform a floating roll test to determine the lowest point in the float and the best location for the ballast (seal body first to prevent water ingress).

I am sure you will have read about this on 'Stripers' forum, but just thought that I would mention it.

Dave

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rbertalotto said:

Nice! Depending on the lure's size, you may have to give it a fatter profile to give yourself enough room to add additional belly ballast.  You can always thin it afterward with a sanding block to remove some of the buoyancy the fatter body will provide.

• Like 1