Jon_P

Air filtration and dust collection

Morning! Now that winter is settling in to stay a while I'm cleaning up the home workshop for a winter of productive bait making. One of the things I need to figure out is air filtration and dust management. Previously I've been painting outside, sweeping wood dust, and always wearing my respirator. This year I'd like to get some more permanent infrastructure in place for added workplace safety and cleanliness. I'm looking at getting a standing dust collector for wood particles, a hanging air filtration system for loose plastic/paint fumes, as well as an airbrush fume hood for paint fumes at the source. Already got a good respirator so that base is covered. 

My question is this; are there any airborne hazards or cleanliness issues that this investment doesn't cover and is there a singular machine that can do all of the above without my needing to buy three different machines?

18 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

In years gone by I have done a lot of reading on cyclone separators. There are even forums dedicated to their design. Definitely the way to go.

Dave

Turns out Jet has an affordable universally mountable cyclone vac, Considerably more affordable too!

The "Thien Seperator" is pretty good and easy to build, plenty of plans around. (Googe)

I have one attached to my copy lathe but it still misses a tiny amount of the very finest dust, so on exit from the separator I put the air through a water mist, this cleans it up nice.

If you build one (Thien Seperator) pay particular attention to the air "swirl" @ entry and exit, makes a big difference.

Pete

1 hour ago, hazmail said:

The "Thien Seperator" is pretty good and easy to build, plenty of plans around. (Googe)

I have one attached to my copy lathe but it still misses a tiny amount of the very finest dust, so on exit from the separator I put the air through a water mist, this cleans it up nice.

If you build one (Thien Seperator) pay particular attention to the air "swirl" @ entry and exit, makes a big difference.

Pete

I was a member of a website dedicated to the Thien. I did a quick search but it seems to have disappeared. Still, plenty of articles are available for this simple and effective build.

I liked it because it was based on vortices :)

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Old thread but as mentioned still good and an area many don't spend much thought on.

I have been running a cheap vacuum set up from locally sourced stuff for I think 6 years now to test (at the time less than 100 bucks total).  I use it mainly for sanding or attached to my router table.  It in no way is a replacement for a high end system.  I also use a larger shop vac/cyclone system in the shop and do wear an Elipse P100 mask as needed (comfortable, not hot, and easy to wear a face shield if needed.

Generic Set Up:  Two five gallon buckets, Bucket Head Vacuum power head (Home Depot), and a Dust deputy cyclone attached to a Gamma seal lid.  Overall the unit pulls lower CFM than ideal but the results have been stellar.  Latex tubing was split and ran along the rim of the bucket to help with the seal for the Bucket Head Vacuum Power Head.  I did 3D print some hose attachments to remove some obstruction since already limited with regards to CFM.

DSC_0017.thumb.JPG.72f483136f71d89aab7c49785608e8d4.JPG

I can't recall how many times I have emptied the lower bucket (dozens of times) during that time period and am still using the same cloth filter.  I forget to check it at times and the lower bucket gets too full and will effect performance.

DSC_0013.thumb.JPG.8ae687ae46bb2c02fac89ae9f99d7830.JPG

I try not and clean the cloth filter in the upper vacuum bucket and allow it to get "primed" as it will capture fines much better that way.  

DSC_0016.thumb.JPG.ab8236182b609b86226f0abe989df7a4.JPG

The upper 5 gallon bucket after all the use, never have emptied or cleaned it.

DSC_0015.thumb.JPG.f572820407313f80fea868ece5e7dd9c.JPG