Mbirdsley

Bass Maribou jig

I have not been on here in a while. But, since I be been on I have added a Arkie mold and poison tail mold.  I like both molds very much btw 

any how I’m looking to get educated in bass Maribou jigs.  I’d like to extend my bass fishing into the late fall untill ice locks everything up around here. Im assuming that a smaller jig that is capable of having a bigger hook is what is in order? Like a 1/16 jig with a #2-2/0 hook? Or do you not want a big hook? From what I’ve read this is a do nothing technique where you let it fall through the water column once it just hit bottoms just real it straight BACK.  do people add a trailer or just fish them as is ? I’m assuming basic basic bass colors work  black/blue, green pumpkin, white are the colors? 

On 11/10/2020 at 10:55 PM, toadfrog said:

I second what Jig Man said. A lot of people seem to want to buy those expensive hooks . Gamy ect. I absolutely won't . Chances of missing a fish or breaking a regular hook like an Eagle Claw isn't worth the money to me . Besides E.C. and Mustad have served me well for many years.

Mustads are good hooks.  I use them for my Arkie and poison mold.  I havnt found a reason to switch yet. Eagle claws would probably work in this application too 

On 11/11/2020 at 9:25 AM, smalljaw said:

I like a 1/0 hook with my marabou jigs. I also like the 3/32oz weight as that fits my needs, yours may differ.  I have several different versions that I tie but they all work well. I like the worm nose jig as well as the Midwest finesse jig for my marabou jigs. 

That would give me another reason for the Midwest jig mold.

from what I have read is that you don’t really want to let them hit bottom. Either twitch or glide through the water Column. 

4 hours ago, Mbirdsley said:

That would give me another reason for the Midwest jig mold.

from what I have read is that you don’t really want to let them hit bottom. Either twitch or glide through the water Column. 

Slow steady retrieve, you don't want to give it too much action. 

• Like 3

I'll 2nd the 1/0 hook option.

I also tie up an 1/8 oz. classic ballhead jig with marabou for smallies up in Door County.  Slow and steady retrieve is the ticket just off the bottom for smallies.

I also throw them in ponds with my boys.  In this application, I run them through the water column a bit faster and on the high side.  I also throw a half or quarter section of a 3 inch senko style bait on for the boys to make casting easier.

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/14/2020 at 10:20 PM, Cuda said:

I'll 2nd the 1/0 hook option.

I also tie up an 1/8 oz. classic ballhead jig with marabou for smallies up in Door County.  Slow and steady retrieve is the ticket just off the bottom for smallies.

I also throw them in ponds with my boys.  In this application, I run them through the water column a bit faster and on the high side.  I also throw a half or quarter section of a 3 inch senko style bait on for the boys to make casting easier.

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

That looks really good.  The senko is a good idea if anything else to give it more weight to feel and cast.  I’m rebuilding my boat this winter so won’t be doing much fishing if we have open water.  However, next year I plan on fishing untill The launches lock up. 

I use about 3" off the tail end of a zoom finesse worm or ,if you can find them a black trout worm about the same length. If you fish them in warmer weather where there are a lot of bluegill they'll drive you nuts pulling on the trailer but when the bite is tough these little black marabou jigs will put fish in the boat.

• Like 1