chachybaby

Presto pot stirrer motor

On 11/18/2020 at 8:20 AM, chachybaby said:

Thanks!  So looks like rpm wise 20 to 25 is ideal from reading posts.

Can anybody else share what model motor they are using. 

I think you'll find the one Travis mentioned to be the most common.  There are some folks that have used stepper motors as well. 

• Like 1

From what I understand, some ac motors you can but some you can’t. They do make speed controls for ac motors, though. Looking at the specs, it’s a split capacitor ac motor and not a good candidate from what I can tell just by some online references. 

Why don’t you send Baitjunky an IM and ask him what he used when he made some for resale. I don’t think he makes them anymore so he would possibly share that information. He’s a member here but not sure how often he visits. 

• Like 1

I looked the other day and mine is the 20 RPM model from McMaster Carr.   Never had any issues for over 10 years now.

Several threads on the site from long ago with other parameters.  Depending on how much plastic you are doing at once may want more torque when you are passing the phase transitions from liquid to "solid" to liquid.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chachybaby said:

What about this one? Seems most comparable to the McMaster model you mentioned

https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/AC-GEARMOTOR%2C25-RPM%2COPEN%2C115V/p/DMD52JE30

The Grainger model 9.3 lbs /in torque vs 25 to the McMaster model.  McMaster is already wired and has a fan but imagine the shipping to Toronto area is the catch. 

Thanks Travis. Yes exactly looking for something local which I can pick up.

So from what I gather.

Rpm: 20 to 25

Single phase, not split capacitor?

Torque: above 20lbs? 

Amount of plastic at one time, I am not sure yet as I want a motor which could handle lower to high amounts.  There seems to be alot of variables here which I must consider in the set up.

Just seems like I have one option here to go with the mcmaster model. Or try to understand the stepper motor option which seems to need a controller.  Agree I don't want to gamble on something which isn't going to work which is why I am asking if there are alternatives which I can purchase closer to home. I'll keep searching the forum.

Edited by chachybaby

Most people just take the advice and buy what works. There are other options but not at that price. Not saying that model does not have issues as well. But most of those can be solved easily. Buy that one and be happy. Buy the others and let us know if they work out. 

• Like 1

McMaster has some of the most reasonable shipping costs out there... I order for them all the time.... granted - they have a warehouse about 60 miles away - but there is no excess charged on their behalf that I notice.... most items I order show up in a rather large box for 7-10 dollars.... granted over the boarder will likely cost more... but they seem to only charge what they have to pay UPS/Fed Ex.... no surcharges in my experience.

J.

• Like 1