Grainraiser

Stone Molds

I pour my own baits but I do not sale them. They are for personal use only and give a few away while I am on the lake. I like aluminum molds but they are not always cost effective unless you pour alot of baits. I have some stone molds and although you have to prep them before use, they work fine for me. My question is why are there no American companies making stone molds. Looks like Russia and Romania are the only countries who produce them. I'm guessing they use the same CNC machines we use here. Seems to me there would be a healthy market for them here. Anyone know the reason why we don't produce them here.

4 hours ago, Grainraiser said:

I pour my own baits but I do not sale them. They are for personal use only and give a few away while I am on the lake. I like aluminum molds but they are not always cost effective unless you pour alot of baits. I have some stone molds and although you have to prep them before use, they work fine for me. My question is why are there no American companies making stone molds. Looks like Russia and Romania are the only countries who produce them. I'm guessing they use the same CNC machines we use here. Seems to me there would be a healthy market for them here. Anyone know the reason why we don't produce them here.

That is a great question!

No clue why nobody here doesn't. As far as these mold go what are you doing to prep them? All i ever do is clamp them together & that's it. I do clamp them top, bottom & middle standing vertically, but that's it & i never have a problem whatsoever. Of course it is just certain lures that i use the  artifical stone molds for such as trailers & a couple craws though.

On 11/27/2020 at 6:22 AM, Les Young said:

No clue why nobody here doesn't. As far as these mold go what are you doing to prep them? All i ever do is clamp them together & that's it. I do clamp them top, bottom & middle standing vertically, but that's it & i never have a problem whatsoever. Of course it is just certain lures that i use the  artifical stone molds for such as trailers & a couple craws though.

I just oil the mold and then shoot. The process is takes a bit longer than using a aluminum mold but they work fine for me.

• Like 1

Some things i'd just as soon to have them, but some not. Some colors don't look as good with the flat finish & i have to tweek   to  look to suit me.  Junebug is one that i lighten up on the colorant some because my normal mixture is to dark in stone molds.However for somebody just starting out they are definitely a great  & affordable option to learn with & also to try a new  bait that you haven't used before.

Edited by Les Young
  • Like 1