Seele

3D Files of hooks

Does anyone has some step files of jig hooks, especially VMC? I know they are not that complicated to design, but why not saving time if anyone has already done that. 

Thanks in advance

Edited by Seele

Good post.

I attempted to collect hook information a few years ago with the intention of generating a CAD hook library for the use of members. Unfortunately only one or two responded and so I abandoned the project.

Perhaps now, the CAD community has expanded some more and more information will be forthcoming. I would even extend the project to split-rings and any other hardware items. If anyone is interested in taking part in this exercise then I will open up the project again. You do NOT need CAD for this project, I am only asking for vernier measurements. I can post a data sheet to help with the measurements required.

I am prepared to do the work, all I ask is a few measurements.

I have:
VMC 32786-40. -50, -60, -70, -80 (image below)MUSTAD 91768-30, -40, -50
Eagle Claw 777-4
VMC barbarian-6 (image below)

I will share these models on request, simply PM me your email address.

If anyone has a vernier and wants to contribute, PM me your email address.

Dave

1757587342_hook32786.thumb.JPG.002a9eb727675b5ae56db91a95dcef11.JPG

1561760227_hookVMCbarbarian-6.thumb.JPG.39684655f66cc82bd4fc3770d951ee8d.JPG

Edited by Vodkaman

Nice work Vodkaman. 

For designing the moulds or lures it is enough. A little bit of rendering and they look quite nice. 

Could you please send me the step files? Or better could you upload them on Thingiverse? 

Here you can find the dimensions of the VMC 5150 - except the wire thickness. 

s-l1600.jpg

For the tip of the hooks you should use the rotate function to have a sharp tip and after that you should design the barb. Looks much nicer. Of course a cutting point tip will be too much work :-)

Which program do you use?  

Good start information, but not enough for an accurate reproduction. I could import the images, but scaling from images is a long haul. I am not prepared to do that much work.

I use Catia V5.

Dave

I tried one and without the hook the pic is not correct to use to draw the hook. I traced the drawing, guessed the diameter, and as you can see the pic or the dimension in the pic are wrong.

A lot of times this works for me but I always have the actual hook.

VMC 5150-50 compare.png

I think putting all the hookse on a scanner with a reference scale or graph paper could work pretty fine. Maybe we have a retailer with us who could make a quick scan. 

17 minutes ago, Seele said:

I think putting all the hookse on a scanner with a reference scale or graph paper could work pretty fine. Maybe we have a retailer with us who could make a quick scan. 

that is what I normally do and it work good enough for me.