Rbertalotto

Linear Actuator for Trolling Motor...DIY

The links, at least for me don't go anyplaceThe links, at least for me don't go anyplace. I was interesed in seeing it. My two trolling motors, that actually drive my catarmaran boat are steered by a linear actuator. Not fast but then again you're not going fast anyway. My boat build is here on instructables.image.thumb.jpeg.5c8e5e945c0bccc102f00d70616f8d50.jpeg

Edited by DGagner

The link worked. Nice job. I wired mine with just a DPDT switch. The relays weren't necessary for me to make it work. I purchased a linear actuator that is used to move solar arrays. You can order them in many lengths so I got one that was just about the right size to turn the motors. As you can see I ganged two motors together and put a piece of pvc pipe over it for weather. My boat is a converted sailing catamaran, always a work in progress. I just like building things. The steering mechanism has proven to be very good and reliable. Just not super fast but that's okay.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:02 AM, Rbertalotto said:

Nice work on your Cat! I finally got my boat out on the lake. My linear actuator system worked great! Couldn't be more pleased. Really nice being able to stand up near the bow and control the motor via a wire! Caught 4 nice rainbow trout too!

Well, you got one up (maybe two up ) on me. My boat is powered  by trolling motors and the fishing this year was soooo bad. They drained the lake to fix the dam and afterwards the fishing stank. The year before it was so good. Night and day. My boat hits a max 2.5 mph. I usually troll at 1.4-2.0 mph but my two hundred amp batteries go for hours. On a calmer day it's pretty nice. I launch it in May and take it out in October. Maine, so the season ends after awhile. I live on the lake so it's the only place I fish but the lake is 4.5 miles long so lots of space. Glad your actuator worked out.

3 hours ago, Rbertalotto said:

I spend a lot of time in Maine....Chesuncook, Sebec, St Albans......All familiar haunts. The Way Life Should Be.

Where are you located?

Far from those places. I'm in the southern tip. A little lake area called Acton. Near Sanford and about 30 miles south of Portland. The area I'm at is a resort area. A string of 22 lakes some small, some big. The one I live on is 4 1/2 miles long. Mousam Lake.

1032449785_homepicture.thumb.jpg.b466263d3c115f11a3fd3b8ca742fc2c.jpg

Edited by DGagner