exx1976

Importance of flat, parallel wood for baits?

Something I'm looking at trying shortly is carving with 15-20 lb^3 density polyurethane tooling board. There is no grain or texture to complicate the shaping and carving process, It's precisely shaped and available in a myriad of dimensions, and is even less hazardous than wood! Though I don't know if it will take molten lead or if I'll have to use solid state pre-cast weights. There's also a question as to whether or not it will react to tin-cure silicone mold substrates. You could also just use the tooling board as a lure body and skip the molding process altogether. Though it is a shade expensive for that much.

20 minutes ago, Jon_P said:

Something I'm looking at trying shortly is carving with 15-20 lb^3 density polyurethane tooling board. There is no grain or texture to complicate the shaping and carving process, It's precisely shaped and available in a myriad of dimensions, and is even less hazardous than wood! Though I don't know if it will take molten lead or if I'll have to use solid state pre-cast weights. There's also a question as to whether or not it will react to tin-cure silicone mold substrates. You could also just use the tooling board as a lure body and skip the molding process altogether. Though it is a shade expensive for that much.

Or I could just keep using wood because that's what I want to make lures out of.

Honestly, the number of "use some other material" posts on here are altogether ridiculous.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, exx1976 said:

Or I could just keep using wood because that's what I want to make lures out of.

Honestly, the number of "use some other material" posts on here are altogether ridiculous.

If you must use wood, then wood you shall use. Though mind you with wood comes wood problems.

• Like 2

Just now, exx1976 said:

Yeah, like having to listen to at least half this board tell me constantly to use plastic.

Personally I'll use anything that's most convenient for me, but I recognize a lot of people are preferential to the qualities/aesthetic of handmade wood baits and have no interest in foams, resins, plastics, etc.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jon_P said:

Personally I'll use anything that's most convenient for me, but I recognize a lot of people are preferential to the qualities/aesthetic of handmade wood baits and have no interest in foams, resins, plastics, etc.

Might I suggest you go start your own thread then to tell people what is convenient for you?

Take the hint already...

Wood is just another material. Like all other materials, it has a density, mechanical properties, Cost, availability, finish properties and many more characteristics. Just because wood has been the material of choice for a few hundred years, does not make it the ideal choice today.

The best quality lure is not determined by the material, but by its performance, its ability to catch fish. Even reliability comes second to performance, why else would anyone use delicate, fragile soft-baits, which catch more fish than hard-baits.

Do not limit your opportunities to wood. If you prefer wood then go for it, but do not be making claims of a superior product based on materials. We must keep an open mind.

Dave

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, exx1976 said:

Might I suggest you go start your own thread then to tell people what is convenient for you?

Take the hint already...

When I said "I'll use whatever is convenient for me" I was saying "this is my preference, but I respect your personal preference". Nobody is attacking or insulting anyone. 

Exx1976 - This post has drifted into alternative materials. This IS allowed. The original post highlighted specific problems with the use of wood, and alternate materials do address these problems.

If you don't like plastics then fine, use wood. Personally I have room for both. All materials have positive and negative characteristics, there is no perfect material and wood does not even come close to perfection.

It would be a shame to ruin your own post with a touch of animosity!

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Vodkaman said:

Exx1976 - This post has drifted into alternative materials. This IS allowed. The original post highlighted specific problems with the use of wood, and alternate materials do address these problems.

If you don't like plastics then fine, use wood. Personally I have room for both. All materials have positive and negative characteristics, there is no perfect material and wood does not even come close to perfection.

It would be a shame to ruin your own post with a touch of animosity!

Dave

The only reason the post "drifted" into anything is because someone came in here and interjected their unsolicited opinion.  The title of the post even includes the word "wood", and nowhere in here did I ask what other materials I could or should use.

I fail to see the relevance of this.

This is also not a discussion on the perfect material, nor is it my trying to espouse the perfectness of wood.  I'm uncertain that I understand your point of view on this.  Could you elaborate?

All opinions are unsolicited, that is the point. When we post a question or an idea or what ever, we invite opinions, and opinions you received. You can agree or disagree with those opinions.

This thread has developed WAY beyond the original post, so don't be using that as an argument about materials. Personally, I feel this has been a very positive and useful thread with lots of information and useful ideas.

This thread is so good, has generated so much interest that it is half way down the second page, well beyond your initial tooling inquiries which were adequately answered in the first few replies. I strongly suggest that having gleaned your answers that you let the thread flow.

I am pretty sure that I have expressed my views on materials enough, and further elaboration would be fruitless.

Dave

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Vodkaman said:

All opinions are unsolicited, that is the point. When we post a question or an idea or what ever, we invite opinions, and opinions you received. You can agree or disagree with those opinions.

This thread has developed WAY beyond the original post, so don't be using that as an argument about materials. Personally, I feel this has been a very positive and useful thread with lots of information and useful ideas.

This thread is so good, has generated so much interest that it is half way down the second page, well beyond your initial tooling inquiries which were adequately answered in the first few replies. I strongly suggest that having gleaned your answers that you let the thread flow.

I am pretty sure that I have expressed my views on materials enough, and further elaboration would be fruitless.

Dave

Ah - perhaps my initial request for you to elaborate was malformed.  You reply did elaborate on exactly what I was asking about; that is, your views on the topic changing, not on wood.

And you're right - I got my answers.  I'll simply turn off notifications and let it go it's merry way.

Apologies, Jon_P

• Like 1

Just now, exx1976 said:

Ah - perhaps my initial request for you to elaborate was malformed.  You reply did elaborate on exactly what I was asking about; that is, your views on the topic changing, not on wood.

And you're right - I got my answers.  I'll simply turn off notifications and let it go it's merry way.

Apologies, Jon_P

No worries

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 8:09 PM, DGagner said:

What you've got is fine. For the size  that baits are few boards need straightening for 3-6". For furniture making yes, but the power tools that you've got you're okay. You actually don't need the router btw. I never use one. A razor knife and sandpaper is fine for  taking down the edges. You can carve a bait ready to paint with holes and lead in the belly in 30 to 60 minutes. Bandsaw it, carve it, sand it, drill holes. It's a pretty simple process actually for a standard single segment bait.

I have a really crappy handsaw and a razor blade and sand paper , a few files, a guy definitely earns it without decent tools lol 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2020 at 1:14 PM, exx1976 said:

I'm new at this.  Currently, my shop consists of a belt sander, a drill press, a band saw, and a router table.

I've been buying wood from the local big box store.  In the store, I use the edge of one board to check other boards for straightness to avoid buying anything with an obvious bow in it.

Is eyeballing this wood "good enough", or should I consider adding a jointer to my shop?  I'm already considering adding a planer.  For my first few, I've just been using the band saw to resaw the boards to the thickness I want, and then using the belt sander to get them nice and flat on the resawed side, but it's not "perfect".

I'm willing to spend the $300 for a benchtop planer, but it occurs to me that a planer may not be as useful by itself as it would be paired with a jointer.  So, I ask:  How important is all this?  Am I overthinking it?  I'm not making 24" long baits.  Currently I'm making 7", but plan to do some 10-14" baits in the future.

Excited to hear thoughts from more experienced builders.

Thanks!!

When I used to work in a lumber yard people would often ask for wood with no knots.  We would tell them, "wood is a natural product, you show me a tree with no branches and I'll show you wood with no knots..."  I got some redwood from a deck I demoed a month or so ago, and it's funny to note how one board is light as a feather and another is as heavy as oak.  I find the variability of wood appealing and endearing.

Simple kit is nice, it's easy to crowd the shop.  I learned a ton about woodworking and lure-making starting out with simple tools.  Now I have been happily adding stations to mine this winter (thanks COVID), and adding some tools.  I just got a belt/disk sander, which puts me about at the limit of REALLY helpful tools.  Still on the list is a lead pot.  I hadn't considered a joiner or planer, as I feel the band-saw and table saw do a good job.  If no table saw, band-saw would be good enough.  I just happened to get a table saw for free after doing some painting work for an older couple.  Never mind I almost killed myself carrying it up the stairs from their basement by myself...

• Haha 1

I will say though, a good plane has its place.  I use a lot of recycled materials for making lures.  Right now I'm using redwood from a deck I helped demo.  The boards are 40+ years old and in pretty rough shape.  I've been using a plane to take off the old finish and work out some of the surface cracking, and then a table saw to square up the edges.  This step is certainly not necessary, but I like working with cleaner material.  I also re-saw a lot of my material with either a table saw or a bandsaw.

You can definitely eye ball wood by simply marking a centerline it becomes easier. I do all my carving by eye and feel by rolling a blank in my hand. 

as for the whole material debate there is advantages and disadvantages to all. If you can’t see this you have not experimented with them enough 

there is many different styles of lure building and in the end if you’re catching fish you are doing something right

• Like 1