basscatcher89

Propionate source?

Hey guys as the title says are there any current sources for Prop pellets? I've read through the posts from over the last 15 years and saw we use to have some sources on the board but it doesn't look like their around anymore and I can't find anything on ebay. Looking to give it a shot to seal bodies. Was reading on the plastic cup dissolving but sounded like most here said just get pellets and do it right.

Thank You!

Over the years there were two TU sources for prop pellets.  One guy passed away.  The other disappeared from the site.  I’m sure there is cellulose propionate pellets somewhere but nobody seems to know where that is.  I wouldn’t recommend trying plastic cups.  Some reportedly work ok, some crack after application.  As for prop itself - I’ve used it, it works ok but nothing special compared to other options like epoxy, MCU, super glue, etc etc 

Different products have been passed off over the years for this process under the same name.  I assume Cellulose acetate propionate is what actually was used based on many of its uses (inks, paints, screen printing, wood coatings, etc..).   Propionate...isn't CAB  (cellulose acetate butyrate) but really doesn't matter much to be honest.  Just something to seal/coat the bait with.  I don't know what the actual legit stuff  historically reported to be used by Rapala really was.

I used solo cups and found it to be just as effective and just easier to source.  I had used the typical red or blue and the clear ones (used them the most).  Most issues boil down to the top coat you used and reaction with the solo cups or propionate.  

I have one last bag of pellets that Swede sent but don't really know what it truly is.  I can find out just wasn't something that I found worked any better than just sealing a bait in shellac so never took in to work with me to identify.  

Eastman probably the largest manufacture in the states but could be wrong. 

Edited by Travis

4 hours ago, basscatcher89 said:

Thanks for the info guys! Think I'll give it a shot. Just looking for some alternatives to devcon 2 ton and get a smoother surface to paint on. Maybe etex or one of the other resins would be a better option. 

It doesn't take much sanding to get a smooth lure to base coat and shouldn't really need anything for a "leveler". 

However if don't want to sand out something like Zinsser Bulls eye primer will coat just as thick as the propionate or solo cups and give you a base coat meant to promote paint adhesion.  Can just dip and hang baits.  Likely will need to thin to get to the right consistency to meet your needs.

• Like 1

One thing to be aware of with prop, it should be dissolved in acetone in a pretty dilute solution to make a good smooth coating.  That necessitates multiple dips to get a thick enough coating.  I used 8 dips, which took about 1 1/2 hrs to accomplish for a small batch of baits.  So there are quicker ways to make an undercoating. Also, i never could find a jar that sealed well enough to prevent the acetone from evaporating over a couple of months, an added complication.  Yes, it makes a nice undercoating on a Balsa bait.  But there are other options that are less hassle.

• Like 1

As Travis said, Swede was the one that used to provide the pellets before he passed. His source was the same as Rapala. I remember that there was different characteristics of propionate, so yo using the correct one was important.

If any can read Finnish, I’m sure the info is common knowledge on their luremaking forum.

• Like 1