Jerry Jrz

Getting a strong bond on tails, suggestions

I have tried many ideas, many plastisols, shooting at higher temps but im still not 100% satisfied with the strength of my tails. I've cut in diagonal as opposed to straight and it has helped. What are some of the things you guys are doing to strengthen the bond? Also, which plastic is more effective with this? I need something on the firmer side

Interesting. I've been pouring tails for years, and never had one separate. I don't use a tail mold though. I just pour the whole bait in the tail color I want. Cut to size I want, then put cut off tail piece back in the mold, and pour the main color.

I may cut tails for about 10-20 baits, the pour the main color.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I make tones of baits with different color tails. and tons of laminates, and never had them separate. Is it possible there's something oily on the mold that's preventing a solid bond? On your hands? Or maybe plastisol needs to be mixed more?

I know there are times when I don't mix well enough my finished baits have an oily feel to them.

Are you using a thermometer to check your plastic temps?

I've had some baits now that are three years old with no issues.

• Like 1

I'm curious with all of these answers were the baits stored in plastic bags putting pressure on the tail rudder in an awkward way and still didn't separate? I have to use oil in many of my molds to keep the baits shiny, when I remove them I cure em for a day and put them in plastics bags and have had custom complaints of tails separating. I'm wondering if perhaps the oil and the cure time being only 1 day may be a factor.