ddl

copper pipe in musky top water ?

im looking for a place to get these little copper pipe that are usually round inside with a square shape outside. it should fit a 0.062 stainless steel wire. ive asked to car part shop ,scrap ward and ive got no result . so please let me know if you know the real purpose of these or where i can buy some of these .ty

ddl, Have you checked with an electrical or electronics supply? What you describe sounds like it may be designed for a specific use within a certain industry, whichever that may be. I haven't posted here in a while. Heck, I haven't fished in two years. Valentine's Day 2019 was walking on the side of the road that connects to my street. Long story short, I was hit by a drunk driver in an SUV. He went to prison. I went in the hospital for five months, the first month in a coma due to a skull fracture and multiple other injuries. After that more than a year in physical and cognizance therapy. Anyway~ Putting two metals together, especially in a wet environment can cause bad things to happen.Corrosion. I learned all about that as a helicopter mechanic in the Marine Corps and later aviation maintenance. "Crud control" (corrosion) is a constant battle on aircraft. Google "dissimilar metal corrosion" and read up. Any two metals in contact is problematic, some combinations are worse than others. Keywords are electrolisys, atmospheric, and galvanic corrosion to name a few. If you must go with two different metals in close proximity with each other finding a means to isolate them or insulate them from one another is key. Good luck.

Edited by Stinky Finger
  • Like 2

damn.that's the kind of thing that could transform an atheist to a jesus believer. how long the guy will stay in jail?

ive not look for electronic shop but i will. i should add that the straw is not flexible at all. i hope you will continue to fish if it is something you still like . guys are doing their top water that way since at least 20 plus years and it look ok.  hope you feel like like an hold new guy ;) take care

It sounds like you are talking about a tubular conductor aka hollow conductor tubing. I think that it will be hard to find and expensive for lure building. It may have to be ordered from a specialty wire manufacturer. It is used when you need to conduct electricity and the current's heat needs to be cooled internally with air or a liquid. It's used in stuff like electrical transformers, MRI machines, generators.

You might be able to find some square tubing used in making jewelry. That type of tubing is usually flexible. I don't know if that tubing comes with a round tube on the inside. 

As Stinky Fingers said, galvanic corrosion would definitely be a concern given the in and out of water use.

Stinky Finger,  welcome back and I hope you are doing well.

Edited by JD_mudbug
typo
  • Like 2

Nice. And brass is a bit better than copper from a galvanic corrosion standpoint with stainless.

I find some stuff at Grainger.com too. Between them and Mcmaster you can find lots of odds and ends.

When I made a globe lure, I epoxied a coffee stirring straw through the front section. The straw was sticking out of each end of the front section so no epoxy would get in the straw. When the epoxy dried, I clipped each end of the straw flush. I installed the prop with one tiny screw on each side of the center hole after pre-drilling. After that, I epoxied a rivet into each end of the straw. The front section spins great. No fish on it yet. I made a 10 inch one with a big prop. I think it is too large. It looks like a small boat. I plan to make a smaller one.

The white one is 7 inches. The chartreuse and orange with black back is 9 inches. Prop is lexan 1/8th inch thick, heated and bent. These are my first 2 attempts at a globe. Both work. I like the taper and shape of the 9 inch one better. I just wish it was 6 inches with a smaller prop. The 7" is ok on length but I made it a bit too thick. They both need to weigh a bit less to make it easier to cast. 

100_1489.JPG

• Like 1

ive never seen one with lexan .great idea,i guess it does less noise,i guess stainless could sometimes scare the fish when they are really shallow  and not aggressive .is it st36 or gama ? what'S wrong with the white one ? my plan was to make one even more phat than that one ....... nice guys

Both lexan and metal props will work. Both make a lot of commotion. The metal will spin faster and make more noise. But, the metal does stand out more and may get bit less in clear or calm water or slow retrieves. I have not tried thinner lexan yet.

Nothing wrong with the white one except that it weighs a lot. It gets tiring to cast. The white one had the body cut straight across. The chart/orange/black had the edges of the cut sanded to round them over and the tail end is more tapered which I think looks better. I guess the looks are a personal preference and confidence thing. I like the look of the slender shape and taper of the chart/orange/black one. If you make it too fat, the front may plow through the water more and you could get less plop/chop from the prop. 

The hooks are Owner ST36. They are sharp but give bad hook rash on the lure body. I have been switching my big bait hooks over to Owner ST35 which are T-type trebles and cause less rash.  Unfortunately, ST35 are pricey, even more pricey than ST36.

I also buy Proberos model 35647 treble hooks off Aliexpress. They are sharp, a bit behind the Owner hooks in quality. You may get 2 to 5 blunt hooks in a 100 pack. But, the 35647s are way more affordable and can be bent with pliers into a T for less rash. Just be careful when doing that. You can't bend Owner ST36 hooks into a T they will break. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000529491583.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4ba04c4dB9wy6J

Edited by JD_mudbug
typo

Could you use aluminum tubing in place of copper ?   You could  drive  a piece of round aluminum tubing inside a piece of square aluminum tubing if you could find two properly sized ID-OD to give you an "interference fit " otherwise you might glue them together .

The two pieces of aluminum tubing combined would probably weight less than the copper tubing you're looking for and a lot cheaper as well  .

There is  lots of different sized aluminum tubing available at hobby supply venders online or Ebay  .

thanks a lot for the contact,ive tried to  look for som,e info about chinese hook witohut name but it is hard to get honest review about them. all my lures of around 8 inch got st36bn  3/0 noting is sharper . and the gauge size is perfect same for the barb just large enough for an easy hookset without destroying their jaws