exx1976

Getting holes EXACTLY in the middle?

I will say though, your attention to detail and fine tolerances might result in some very fine baits!

The main thing I do to create repeatability is cut my patterns out of hard plastic.  Then I'll draw on them spots for weights, hook hangers, etc.  That plus keeping notes and patterns in a book are about as technical and specific as I get. 

I tend to operate out of "ready, fire, aim" mode, which has lead to a hefty share of "well shoot!" moments.  I've gleaned a lot of good ideas for tightening things up from this thread.

On 12/15/2020 at 10:35 PM, Big Epp said:

I tend to operate out of "ready, fire, aim" mode, which has lead to a hefty share of "well shoot!" moments.  I've gleaned a lot of good ideas for tightening things up from this thread.

LOL.....  I think alot of us who really get into this stuff have these moments of "well shoot!!!".... the worst examples are when something surprising and unexpected happens by accident - but is totally cool - and you then can't repeat it ever again!!!  Forget about making one like the next - losing the magic something has is beyond frustrating!!! LOL!!

J.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SlowFISH said:

LOL.....  I think alot of us who really get into this stuff have these moments of "well shoot!!!".... the worst examples are when something surprising and unexpected happens by accident - but is totally cool - and you then can't repeat it ever again!!!  Forget about making one like the next - losing the magic something has is beyond frustrating!!! LOL!!

LOL - I have had the good 'well shoot' issue and not been able to repeat ever again. This is why I delve into the engineering side of things. If I can find an engineering explanation for the different result, then I have more of a chance of finding the good change again.

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

LOL - I have had the good 'well shoot' issue and not been able to repeat ever again. This is why I delve into the engineering side of things. If I can find an engineering explanation for the different result, then I have more of a chance of finding the good change again.

Dave

Precisely.  Everything has a reason.  The challenge is figuring out the reason.  Once you have accomplished that, replicating it should be relatively easy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

Clearly there are a lot of wire choices available.

I just posted one that works for me, is readily available, and not expensive.

Give this wire a try, and yo might not have to go to college to figure out which wire will work and why;

https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Looped-End-Wire-Shafts

Wrong thread?

Man.....what an INCREDIBLE thread! This is why I am here to stay. I want to learn and one cannot help but do so by watching you all converse about such topics. You have all proven time and time again to be very intelligent and deeply creative, each of you in your own right, thinkers and craftsmen. This is hands down the most helpful and knowledgable community on the Interwebs. I'd rather read threads like this than "Netflix and Chill" any day. Great stuff! 

I came into this hobby two years ago from a nearly zero woodworking background and because of everyone here I am making baits that I am proud of as well as making my wife and kids happy with little projects for them. I couldn't be more thankful to each of you in this thread and everyone else on this site that has contributed to my knowledge. I'm buying you all a virtual beer. Cheers from Germany to you all:)

Edited by fishordie79
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

SO.  A bit of an update to all this:

I got a planer for Christmas.  Likely more than I need for this small project (the wood is 1"x4"x4'), but maybe I'll work on larger stuff in the future?  Anyhow..  I got a Dewalt 13" 3 blade, 2-speed planer.  Setup was very easy, I had it off the porch, into the garage, assembled, and planed 5 boards from 3/4" (actual) to 1/2" (actual).  Then I threw them on the table saw (bought a used from from a friend for $50 - it's small and crappy, but it gets the job done with ease) and cut them to length.

Took them down to the shop, hit them with the belt sander to knock off the rough edges quick, and then I used my handy-dandy center-finding tool to draw a line down the center of one board.  Since they were all the EXACT same thickness now (the planer has a stop on it so I didn't have to measure and guess), I used that one board to set up the drill press.  I made a makeshift fence by clamping a 2x4 to the drill press table, and then proceeded to sink 100 screw eye holes and 100 ballast holes in under an hour, and they are all perfectly centered.  I couldn't be happier!

In other news, I finished 11 lures the other evening.  They all float, and were all made to the same spec in the video I posted in the other thread.  Coated them with Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast instead of e-tex, and I gotta say - this stuff is WAY better than e-tex.  I actually threw my remaining e-tex in the trash this stuff works so well.

I'm just waiting for split rings to be delivered, and then I'm going to get these out the door to the guys who have agreed to test for me.  I'm expecting positive feedback, but I suppose one can never be too sure.

Edited by exx1976
  • Like 1