Mad ox tackle

screw eye problem

Hello I think I have found a good way to put screw eyes in a cast mold but I don't think it will work because of the threads on the screw eyes... I was going to jb weld a nut on to the end of a screw eye and then cast it into a mold but I don't think the threads are the same.and I was thinking about using something like the second pic but I don't know if they make them that small. Any ideas? or am I over thinking it I don't want my eyes to fall out haha.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

The idea is to provide a lump that stops the eye from stripping out the plastic around the thread. Because it is a screw, there is no such hardware that I know of.

My solution would be to wind thin SST wire into the threads, continue winding to build up the thickness, the equivalent of a nut. Probably over a length of 1/4" to 3/8" would be sufficient.

I would consider a dab of 5 min epoxy ant the start, but it may not be necessary. Perhaps a drop of runny CA glue onto the final wrap, this would seep through the whole lump of winding.

Dave

• Like 1

I make resin baits. I bend the shaft of the eyescrew 90*,  then place they eye in the appropriate slot in the bottom of the mold and pour the resin in. The resin sets around the eyescrew.  The eye of the screw eye will fail before it would ever pull out out of the bait unless you hit it and crack the bait somehow. I've even done this with 3/4 inch .092 hardware, and they stay put.     Not sure if this applies to what you are trying to accomplish.

• Like 2

You may be able to run the screw eyes into a short section of dowel to serve the purpose of a nut, and epoxy that on, then put that assembly into the mold?

I've always thought that through-wire would be best for use during casting process - but I don't use this method, so take that with a grain of salt.

39 minutes ago, AZ Fisher said:

I make resin baits. I bend the shaft of the eyescrew 90*,  then place they eye in the appropriate slot in the bottom of the mold and pour the resin in. The resin sets around the eyescrew.  The eye of the screw eye will fail before it would ever pull out out of the bait unless you hit it and crack the bait somehow. I've even done this with 3/4 inch .092 hardware, and they stay put.     Not sure if this applies to what you are trying to accomplish.

That sounds like a good idea I will remember this for later thanks!!!!

• Like 1