Pencils-n-flies

Need Help- Swing Hook Bucktail Jigs

Looking for some help please.   I have been tinkering around for the last two seasons trying to make a swing hook bucktail jig, primarily for fluke/summer flounder fishing.   I included two photos attached.  I have been using pre-made wire forms from Do-It.   This past season I had two fluke break off the hook that was inserted on the wire loop that I closed with pliers.    I have since added a barrel swivel between the wire loop and hook.  I haven't been able to test out this newer version with the barrel swivel.    For reference I'm using the Do It Ultra Minnow mold.    Over the winter I was thinking about buying Mason 220 lbs stainless wire and forming a closed loop, placing a hook inside the loop or possibly a barrel swivel inside the loop and inserting the wire into the mold before pouring lead. 

Asking around to see if anyone had other ideas on what has worked for you?

Thank you!

swivel_2.jpg

Swivel_1.jpg

My swingtail saltwater jigs use a sinker eye with the hook either cast in or preferably with a hook attached via split ring.

The split ring just makes it easier to swap a bad/damaged hook out.

I use SS sinker eyes preferably the long version if they fit. I get them from Barlow's.

Those things are not coming out and cannot be unbent once cast.

There is one sinker eye for the line tie and another for the hook.