sdsaw

Do-it Mold Midwest Finesse loose hook fix

I see this issue come up often.

I have this mold and the first time pouring the 1/16 oz. I saw that there are issues with the hook being loose on some of the jig heads that I was pouring.

It appears that on the 2 smallest sizes, there is not enough lead surrounding the hook shank just past the bend of the hook

So, the hook will sometimes rotate in the head due to the lack of support

YCWpvuW.jpg

What I did was create a short collar at the base of the head to help keep the hook from rocking back and forth.

I used a ball endmill, and made this mod in a mill, but this should be able to be accomplished with a dremel and the proper bit.

HXtsnB5.jpg

jylFSs0.jpg

With this mod. there is adequate material to support the hook where it exists the back of the head to keep it from rocking side to side

The ball diameter is 1/8" and it sticks up 1/16"

The z-man material is so soft that pushing the bait tight against the head is not a problem

6jJi1ad.jpg

I hope this helps some of you.

Edited by sdsaw
picture links
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cadman said:

Hey Scott

That is a really good idea. :):)

Thank you cadman. Good hearing from you!

I did this earlier this year and since have seen several post with this issue.

Most of the replies would say that harder lead is required, powder coat to make it tighter or super glue it.

To me, the problem is obvious what is wrong with the smaller sizes of this mold.

Maybe do-it will see this and change the base area of their future molds

• Like 1

That is a great mod!!! I don't have an issue as I use hard lead for those. I like the flat head not only to make my plastics fit flush but I use that head for a lot of hair jigs and that collar would make most of them impossible to tie. The mod itself is a really good idea, especially when you consider that it still leaves ample room for the wire keeper. While it doesn't serve my needs I'll bet there are a bunch of people that would really benefit from that design, well done!!!!

• Like 1