exx1976

Plastic tubing to cover hook points?

Every musky show I go to, a majority of the lures have the points on the hooks covered with some form of plastic tubing.  Sitting on the boat, I always bitch about how difficult it is to remove, but now that I'm making lures, I understand the purpose.  I used to think it was to prevent people from getting "stuck" by the hooks at the shows.  Nay, it's for preventing hook rash during transport!

I will be shipping some lures to people for testing, and with any luck, will be selling some online.  Any idea where I can find said plastic tubing?  I don't even know what to search for, but I'm relatively certain someone here has it figured out.

I'm using Mustad 3/0 muskie trebles if it matters.

Thanks!!

4 hours ago, ravenlures said:

exx1976  I think it is the 1/8" size but there are many sizes. Depends on how far you want to cover hook.

Wayne

Thanks!!

In case anyone else is interested or is looking for this tubing, I ordered a 50' roll of part number 5233K52 from McMaster Carr.  It's 1/8" ID, 1/4" OD.  Should do the trick.

It was $8.  At 1/2" of tubing per hook point, it should be enough to do ~133 lures and adds 6 cents to the cost of each lure.

Edited by exx1976

Update:

The tubing from McMaster Carr arrived.  It was much too big.

I ordered 1/16" ID tubing this time.  Slightly more expensive at $9.50 for 50 feet, but this should be the ticket.  Part # 5233K51

Higher price adds 7 cents per lure instead of 6.  Still well within acceptable range.

@exx1976 Here in Europe carp angling is big. Stuff like the image below is used in making hair rigs and other carp rigs. This would probably work great as you can find it in a variety of diameters. I have no idea if they have stuff like this in tackle shops over there but maybe this suggestion will point you in the right direction. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 9.33.31 PM.png

• Like 1