exx1976

Plastic tubing to cover hook points?

Every musky show I go to, a majority of the lures have the points on the hooks covered with some form of plastic tubing.  Sitting on the boat, I always bitch about how difficult it is to remove, but now that I'm making lures, I understand the purpose.  I used to think it was to prevent people from getting "stuck" by the hooks at the shows.  Nay, it's for preventing hook rash during transport!

I will be shipping some lures to people for testing, and with any luck, will be selling some online.  Any idea where I can find said plastic tubing?  I don't even know what to search for, but I'm relatively certain someone here has it figured out.

I'm using Mustad 3/0 muskie trebles if it matters.

Thanks!!

Neoprene tubing. It is one of those things that are hard to find when you want it but occasionally come across when you don't. If I see it when out shopping I will always buy a meter or two.

Dave

5 hours ago, mark poulson said:

You might try rubber banding the hooks to each other, so they can't move during transport.  One of the Japanese lure makers used to do that.

That'd be fantastic if I only had 2 hooks..  The tail hook will still cause problems.  :(

10 hours ago, exx1976 said:

That'd be fantastic if I only had 2 hooks..  The tail hook will still cause problems.  :(

You might try banding the middle treble and tail hook first, and then the front hook to the middle.  That's the way the three hook baits came.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ravenlures said:

exx1976  I think it is the 1/8" size but there are many sizes. Depends on how far you want to cover hook.

Wayne

Thanks!!

In case anyone else is interested or is looking for this tubing, I ordered a 50' roll of part number 5233K52 from McMaster Carr.  It's 1/8" ID, 1/4" OD.  Should do the trick.

It was $8.  At 1/2" of tubing per hook point, it should be enough to do ~133 lures and adds 6 cents to the cost of each lure.

Edited by exx1976

Update:

The tubing from McMaster Carr arrived.  It was much too big.

I ordered 1/16" ID tubing this time.  Slightly more expensive at $9.50 for 50 feet, but this should be the ticket.  Part # 5233K51

Higher price adds 7 cents per lure instead of 6.  Still well within acceptable range.

@exx1976 Here in Europe carp angling is big. Stuff like the image below is used in making hair rigs and other carp rigs. This would probably work great as you can find it in a variety of diameters. I have no idea if they have stuff like this in tackle shops over there but maybe this suggestion will point you in the right direction. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 9.33.31 PM.png

• Like 1

I use stuff similar to the above in making my Wels catfish rigs. Those larger diameters would probably work great for the hook sizes you mentioned. If you can't find a solution I'd be happy to send you some to try out. 

• Like 1