txlive

Silicone mold - lure prep

I'm going to make a multi-cavity silicone mold (attempt) of a pack of commercial worms I like, to mess around with colors and plastic combos.   Do I need to soak the worms in water/Dawn to remove the worm oil first, or can I just pour the silicone over them as they are out of the pack?  

You bring up another good point - adhere.  I've seen hard masters being super glued down to their base plate to prevent shifting.  Will regular super glue work on soft plastics as well?  Any chance they are salvagable when you pull them up?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, txlive said:

You bring up another good point - adhere.  I've seen hard masters being super glued down to their base plate to prevent shifting.  Will regular super glue work on soft plastics as well?  Any chance they are salvagable when you pull them up?

Well I was no professional, always lost a few, but for the most part they stayed in tact pretty well. 

• Like 1

I do it a little different.  I make the form and pour 1/4 inch of remelted left over plastic in it and let it set up.  Once it's cooled I brush my masters with mend-it and secure them to the plastic.  I've never had very good luck with tape as som part of the master always seems to come loose when pouring the rtv.