fishordie79

Airbrush Trigger Sticking

Hey TU Folks!

I use an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. I clean it thoroughly after each use but just recently I am having a problem with the trigger sticking in the depressed position after two or three color changes. I have used a small steel wire and airbrush cleaner to attempt to scrape away any particles of dried paint that may be getting down into the trigger shaft (not sure if that is what it is called) and that seems to work for a few more color swaps but then I have to repeat the process. I'm not sure what is going on here. Once or twice a month I soak all of the components that do not contain any brass in Createx restorer but I have never soaked the body because the trigger shaft looks to be made of brass. I have heard that soaking brass parts in restorer will ruin them. Is this really the case? If not, can I soak the body without damaging anything? I'm am just trying to find out how to get the trigger to stop sticking as this make detail work really difficult because it happens randomly so I might be painting gills or fins for example and the trigger will stick and keep spraying when I release it. 

As always any suggestions are much appreciated! 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, fishordie79 said:

Hey TU Folks!

I use an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. I clean it thoroughly after each use but just recently I am having a problem with the trigger sticking in the depressed position after two or three color changes. I have used a small steel wire and airbrush cleaner to attempt to scrape away any particles of dried paint that may be getting down into the trigger shaft (not sure if that is what it is called) and that seems to work for a few more color swaps but then I have to repeat the process. I'm not sure what is going on here. Once or twice a month I soak all of the components that do not contain any brass in Createx restorer but I have never soaked the body because the trigger shaft looks to be made of brass. I have heard that soaking brass parts in restorer will ruin them. Is this really the case? If not, can I soak the body without damaging anything? I'm am just trying to find out how to get the trigger to stop sticking as this make detail work really difficult because it happens randomly so I might be painting gills or fins for example and the trigger will stick and keep spraying when I release it. 

As always any suggestions are much appreciated! 

Thanks!

I have two HP-CS brushes, and have not had the problem you describe.  To be clear, you're saying the trigging is sticking down - not back - so it continues to deliver air (and not paint) after you remove your finger, correct?  I would think a drop of airbrush lubricant should address that problem.  Both my brushes included a small tube of it in the box when I received them.

I'm certainly no airbrush expert, but I have taken mine apart several times.  Since the needle goes through the trigger, I would check to ensure the needle isn't bent (accidentally from cleaning?), and that the trigger isn't twisted (not even sure if this is possible?  I don't know that it would go back together).

Barring that, if possible, I would consider calling Iwata support, and/or the retailer you purchased it from.  Might be easier to swap it out for a new brush.

As for soaking, I read or saw somewhere that you should not soak any of the parts for longer than 5-10 minutes since it can destroy them.  You don't mention how long you soaked things for.  Hopefully it was less time than that.

Additionally, I'm not sure about the small steel wire?  Could have perhaps scratched something?  They make brushes for cleaning airbrushes, they're available on Amazon (I bought a sprayout pot kit that included them, as well as a nozzle cleaning tool).

Please be sure to come back and let us know what you figure out!!

Edited by exx1976
  • Like 1

@exx1976 You are correct and my apologies for not being more clear. The trigger is sticking in the air release position, not the paint release position. I also bought one of those spray pot kits but I was a bit hesitant to use the brush because I didn't want a bristle to come off and get lodged in that small space and possible make things worse. I guess I somehow thought an abrasive steel wire would be a better option (insert fail emoji here;) 

I will give the airbrush lubricant a try and thanks for the suggestion because I didn't even think about that. I'll be painting a couple of baits in a day or two so I'll be sure to come back and let you know what I did to either fix it or destroy it;)

Thanks again man!

• Like 1

When I am airbrushing I keep a ice cream pail next to me with hot water with a little soap in it and when I change colors I just keep cleaning the brush till clear. End of day I just run some airbrush cleaner through it and done for the day. Just to check I at sometime I just take out the needle and wipe it clean if some paint on it. Stay ahead of the game and keep problems to a minimum.

Wayne

• Like 2

I have had the same issue with my Iwata Eclipse and Exx1976 is correct. When I have had this problem, I pull the trigger button out, clean it and put a drop of lubricant on the lower part of the shaft and re-insert it. The trick is getting it lined up properly when reinserting. The lower part (below the hinge) has to go straight down into the shaft (?).

• Like 1

@exx1976 That was it man!! Broke the airbrush down, soaked it for 5 minutes (every part) in restorer, rinsed and dried it and put it back together. The trigger was still sticking. Then I broke out the oil and put a drop into the chamber. Bam! No more sticking. Thank goodness! That was becoming really damn annoying. Thanks for the suggestion man!

@ravenlures Thanks for the tip man! Now that you mention it I saw Nate from Marling Baits doing the same thing and made a mental note to try it but it got lost in the sauce somewhere and I never did. Thanks for reminding me. I'll for sure give that a try! 

@Brick Steel Yeah man that did the trick. Completely got rid of the trigger sticking issue:)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fishordie79 said:

@ravenlures One question for you. When you dip the airbrush into the soapy water how do you get the chamber and other pertinent parts completely dry so that your paints don't mix with water? Do you just dip it and then blow all of the excess water out until its dry?

I'd be careful with that.  Iwata says immersing an airbrush can damage internal o-rings over time.

I'm barely capable of operating the damn thing, not sure I'm up to the task of repairing one.  LOL

Edited by exx1976
  • Like 1