jigswimmer

Shakey head from wacky mold

I suspect others might have done this already, but I thought some might benefit. I’m all about efficiency, always thinking about making multiple uses out of the same mold. Turns out that the wacky jig mold from Do It can make a really nice little shakey head. It’s super simple...I used a 1/0 Mustad 91768 hook and the small wire keeper. Turned out great, in my opinion (see pics). For those that prefer a bigger hook, I suspect the 32724 Mustad hook should work too, but haven’t tried it yet. 

288C2058-1AB3-46F1-BAAA-1C89C5E9871A.jpeg

3B3B1455-4164-4CD2-8AE9-7130DFB7C9FF.jpeg

1 hour ago, cadman said:

Yep, I've seen that set-up a time or two. Many jigs are very versatile. Like you can use an Grass jig for a swim jig, dragging it on the bottom or hopping it. 

Didn’t think it was too original, but happy I also discovered it. Are you aware, does the 4/0 32724 fit the wack mold in the 1/8-1/4 sizes?  The hook bend and diameter suggest it should. 

3 minutes ago, cadman said:

I forgot. The 32724 hook is a 90 degree hook and that mold you mentioned is for a 60 degree hook. The 32724 hook series will not fit in any of those cavities

No...I’m talking about the Mustad 32724 30 degree hook. It is the light wire swim jig hook. The wacky mold accepts a 30 degree hook. 

11 minutes ago, cadman said:

Sorry, I had the wrong hook. I have some 32724 somewhere( according to my inventory list), but can't find them at this moment. I am going to bet that they will work.

I bet you’re right. My 91768 hooks work well and they are 30 degree. The 32724s are similar in diameter. I’ll buy a few and try it out. Thanks for checking. I appreciate it!

4 hours ago, jigswimmer said:

I bet you’re right. My 91768 hooks work well and they are 30 degree. The 32724s are similar in diameter. I’ll buy a few and try it out. Thanks for checking. I appreciate it!

I have that mold and some 5/0 32724's so I can check.

Allen

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Munkin said:

The 32724 5/0 does not fit but the mold could easily be modified to work. The VMC 30 degee 1/0 does fit in the 1/8ozand bigger cavities though if you are looking for another hook.

Allen

flick shake head.jpg

Thanks for checking. What is the reason for not fitting? Is the 5/0 hook wire too big in diameter? Some other reason? I was curious about the fit of the 4/0 because it is the same diameter as the 1/0 Mustad 91768, which fits my mold.

Is the hook in the picture the VMC? It appears to be similar to the 1/0 Mustad 91768 that I showed in my picture. 

Edited by jigswimmer

11 hours ago, jigswimmer said:

Thanks for checking. What is the reason for not fitting? Is the 5/0 hook wire too big in diameter? Some other reason? I was curious about the fit of the 4/0 because it is the same diameter as the 1/0 Mustad 91768, which fits my mold.

Is the hook in the picture the VMC? It appears to be similar to the 1/0 Mustad 91768 that I showed in my picture. 

Eye is just a little too big to fit the mold with the the 5/0. You could easily modify it though if you want to use that hook. 

Yes that is a VMC hook (have to find the pack to see what model number) which I like better than the Mustad 91768. The VMC runs larger in these hooks as a size 1/0 is the same size or slightly bigger than the Mustad 2/0. Another thing is the gap is not as wide but these work really well for weighted swimbait hooks.

Allen