Juice780

Cutting circuit board lips

Has anyone tried this with a manual punch press?  I know where I can have some dies made but not sure what would be the best type of press to use. I want to use something manual and fairly cheap. Anyone done anything like this?

Edited by Juice780

11 hours ago, Juice780 said:

Has anyone tried this with a manual punch press?  I know where I can have some dies made but not sure what would be the best type of press to use. I want to use something manual and fairly cheap. Anyone done anything like this?

I'd be very interested to hear how this works.  I think the material might be a bit too brittle to use a punch press.  I'm very interested in getting some .060 or .080 CB lips instead of just the .031 that are commercially available...

On 1/12/2021 at 9:23 PM, RPM said:

Juice this has come up a few times, check out Lincoya here on TU He posted a video of routing bills using templates, very fast and effective way of cutting your bill / bibs.

That's lexan, not cb. Completely different. No way in hell I'd use a router for cb. 

Wow..those videos are a blast from the past..That is one of many TU get togethers at my house.So much amazing information shared and friendships made at those. 
I think this is the year Phil from England and Pete from Australia attended..Nathan

• Like 1

If you’re gonna build 500 baits I guess it would be cost efficient to buy a press and have a tool steel punch made professionally.  Got a few hundred bucks?   But as a hobby builder, I think using Wiss aircraft snips to rough out the lip and a Dremel sander to finish the lip is an easy and efficient way to go.  It takes me maybe 45 minutes to shape 6-8 lips this way.  Of course, I build bass baits and use 1/16 inch thick G-10 sheet.  Using very thick G-10 would be a problem but I use thin stock expressly for better lip performance and so do commercial bait makers.

• Like 1