exx1976

Lips for baits

There are a good number of ready-made lips available from commercial suppliers.  However, not always the EXACT ones we are looking for.

I just had the good fortune of figuring out a better way to get lips made.  As some of you know, I'm working with G10.  .031" is a bit too thin for my application, but I didn't know how much thicker to go.  So I ordered some .062", some .093", and some .125".  I just dropped them off at a local fab shop that has a waterjet and they are going to cut lips from each sheet for me and get them back to me tomorrow.

I was also speaking with them about the possibility of doing aluminum lips.  He said they'd do that on the laser.  He said they charge $7/min to run the laser, and it cuts 2400 inches per minute.  We spitballed some rough measurements, and with them providing material, they can cut aluminum lips for me for about 30 cents each.

Point is, don't be afraid to look around and contact some people you wouldn't think would work with small customers, or in industries that have nothing to do with fishing.  You might just end up pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

One thing that I do is try to make the lure fit the lip that is already made, most of the time it is just a smaller or just a little larger lip that you can make adjustments on the lure, that way you don't have to look around for a perfect  fitting lips that are already out there.

Wayne

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ravenlures said:

One thing that I do is try to make the lure fit the lip that is already made, most of the time it is just a smaller or just a little larger lip that you can make adjustments on the lure, that way you don't have to look around for a perfect  fitting lips that are already out there.

Wayne

That doesn't sound very unique. Why make a "custom" bait that is beholden to some nonsense everyone can buy online? I want my baits to be MY baits, not just another conglomeration of off-the-shelf parts nonsense that anybody with some free time and some superglue can create. 

What a great resource!  Sounds like you found a really valuable connection.  Another good resource is local school shop teachers.  They are most likely interested in some sort of fundraising, and working with an actual customer for an actual product is great "real-world" experience for the students.  The shop at my school has a laser and a CNC router.  Different schools are going to have different programs and equipment, and different teachers are going to have different attitudes and priorities, but it's worth a shot!

• Like 1

All I can say is time will tell and cost of lure, you will get to a point that you want to cut cost. If the lip is making your lure so unique than stick with that, but after testing and carving to what you want than enjoy. As far as I am concerned is that the lip might make a difference in action but its the rest of the lure that sells, style and a good paint job.

Wayne

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ravenlures said:

All I can say is time will tell and cost of lure, you will get to a point that you want to cut cost. If the lip is making your lure so unique than stick with that, but after testing and carving to what you want than enjoy. As far as I am concerned is that the lip might make a difference in action but its the rest of the lure that sells, style and a good paint job.

Wayne

I'm beginning to get the impression that you and I have vastly different opinions of exactly what a quality lure is.

But I'll tell you what - rather than sit here and argue about it, how about you go and find me a commercial source to buy .062" or .093" G10 lips, off the shelf.

Let me know when you come up with something.

As for cost - that is the least of my concerns, quite literally.  They cost what they cost.  As a wise man once said:  "The price is the price.  Either people want to fish your lures, and are prepared to pay the price, or they aren't."  I'm making high-quality, hand-crafted, wooden lures, not widgets.  If I wanted to fish with inexpensive, mass-produced plastic nonsense, there's already plenty of that available on the shelves of every tackle shop in the country.

Edited by exx1976

Been seriously considering this option myself. Lips can eat up time and it’s annoying. Even with the system I use being quick and my lexan being free at less than 50 cents a lip it would be worth it

It sounds like I need to put more effort into talking to shops regarding working on my lexan lip/wings

As for store bought lips not my style and definitely not an option design wise. If I was trying to duplicate or build standard designs I might have a different opinion