basskat

Sometimes I Wonder.........

about fishermen. I sell custom soft plastics. No internet sells just locally.

Why do these guys order 200 of the same bait, same color? You would think they'd buy four packs and come back for more.

I'm not complaining but have noticed that bass fishermen do this. It's great for business.

Fisherman have their favorite lures and some hoard them:lolhuh:

I have a friend who bought 500 of his favorite salmon spoon because it was the only way the company would do a run of the discontinued finish. Best part is the brought back that finish the next year

I know others who will use like 3 lures/colors and nothing else. To these people if those lures are not working the fish must not be biting or that lake is no good 

It is what it is

12 minutes ago, basskat said:

Why do these guys order 200 of the same bait, same color? You would think they'd buy four packs and come back for more.

I'm not complaining but have noticed that bass fishermen do this. It's great for business.

This is just speculation on my part but I have been approached about copying baits that were custom pours that were no longer available due to the maker quitting the tackle business . Perhaps anglers want to stock up on a favorite bait as a hedge against losing the source of a particular color or bait?

Have seen this for years and years now. Be a salesman and offer him another bait in that same color. Sometimes it’s the color that keeps them fishing it. If it was available in another style he might use it too. Got a lot of guys to try more baits that way. Especially if it is a special color. 

• Like 1

For a soft plastic bait, they probably want 200 of the exact same bait to carry them through a tournament season. For a particular hard bait, some people want enough to carry them through a lifetime.

It’s about confidence.  As jigmeister posted, an angler doesn’t want to worry about the bait being different or not available. The bait maker could quit the business to take up sasquatch hunting.  The company that supplies the components may change their products like changing the shade of the color or changing the size of the flake by an angstrom. The bait maker could discontinue the color or the lure. The company making the lure could get acquired by another company and the production method of the lure changes (ex. look at pre-Rapala Wiggle warts on eBay).  An angler doesn’t want to worry about these things, whether real or imagined. An angler just wants to concentrate on fishing. They don’t want to have to even think about finding a replacement until offseason. In the case of a hard bait which could last forever in storage, an angler may never want to worry about replacements.

When I heard my favorite crankbait was discontinued, I immediately contacted the company. The company said they could do another production run of 300 baits. So, I and a couple of buddies chipped in and bought a 300 bait run.  The company charged wholesale price. I thought it was worth it. Later through a friend of a friend of a friend, I tracked down another 100 or so sitting in a box in their warehouse.  So, I bought those too. I had caught fish on it for 20+ years when it was discontinued. I have fished with it for another 20 years from my stockpile. I don’t need to buy them on eBay. I will never be disappointed about not having the lure. It still has not been brought back into production.  As I get older and need less of a stockpile, I give them away or sell them. I do use a lot of different lures. I try to have backups of my successful ones.

I don't understand it for sure , I have a customer that orders 1000 at a time.

That takes me 10 days to make to make them .

My mold has only 3 cavities, and I hand pour the bottom half.

Most of my customers purchase 100 at a time.

I don't have that many customers and am not interested in expanding ,I'm retired and started it as a hobby

but it  is beginning to look like a part time job.

There is no logic sometimes, but some people just like what they like - take no substitutes and will pay any price for what they want..... I have favorites - but there is a limit.... you guys remember the wacko run on Keitech Lil Spiders about 8 years ago.... 6 dollars worth of baits were selling for 100+ on EBAY cause the molds wore out and Keitech stopped making them for a year or so.  It was nuts... I fish 1 tournament each year (a charity event) I gave a pack of the Lil Spiders to the guy who boated me around for the day cause he loved to fish them - it was like I gave him a brick of gold - he couldn't believe I was willing to give them up - they are good little baits - but it's not like there aren't others!!!  Glad they made him happy!

J.

On 1/30/2021 at 5:43 PM, basskat said:

I used to fish a lot.  I did this for about 7 or 8 years during the  90's.   I ordered 100 counts all the time from places as far cheaper than buying from mom and pops.   The number of Texas rigged worms and craws I went through one summer fish lily pads was crazy.   Charlie brewer slider worms were another I went through a lot (spotted bass on local small river).  I don't see 100 baits as being anything strange at all.  I would rather have  100 baits in 4 or 5 colors that 1000's of baits in unlimited colors.

Last week during one of the posts on the site I ended up digging through some of the old tackle in my closet and still came across a few 100 count bags of Larew salt craws, tubes,  and a small rubber maid tote of zoom lizards.  

Edited by Travis

If i were buying i'd buy 100 count bags of certain baits that i knew i was going to use a lot of instead of 8,10 or 12 packs.  In summer i'm not going to be caught without baby brush hogs, super hogs, tubes, shakey head worms, jig trailers, trd style baits & big  worms. I make all of mine  in bulk in a few colors & buy my silicone jigs, hair jigs, hooks, rattles etc. in bulk for this very reason when i need them. I've got 3 one gallon  ziplock bags of jigs in the boat now. :D

Edited by Les Young