oldyellerbaits

Stronger Soft Baits

Plastic mfg should be able to tell the durometer of thier blends to help choose the desired firmness which will help make a tougher bait, also you can buy hardner to add to your plastic to firm it up and make it tougher. But I'm not aware of an additive that will keep the bait real soft and make it more durable? Not saying there is not something out there, just stating what I have experienced when I want to make a tougher soft plastic bait.   

• Like 1

still in test:

took 2x 300 ml glass plastisol and heat it up to 40 degrees (hand hot  1min/200of700 microwave).

took one and put it into the ultrasonic water (hand hot water) and gave it 10 min.

the ultrasonic plastisol in Vacuum  (3x3 min) made only 3-4 bubbles in total..!!

the regular plastisol (3x3min) made the same number of bubbles as it usually does.

put the 2 glass in the microwave 2 minutes on 400 (400 of 700 settings.)

and microwave it 2 minutes/1 minutes/30sec/(500)30sec/30sec/30sec~

(the ultrasonic was 10 °Celsius in front of the reg all the time.)

the ultrasonic hit 165 °Celsius and looked clear

the regular plastisol was still in gel form..!!

made the same attempt 3 times.(reg.plastisol in gel all 3 times)

shot the ultrasonic in a mold..came out ..perfect (I feel like it was more running)

the regular plastisol (after microwave it to 170~) came out..good (feels like regular running)

the good news is the ultrasonic just take longer to harden up (but still softer vs reg. after 7 days)

(from the cold test)

that's what I've done so far.

• Thanks 1

After they are made and fully cooled (several days), place them into boiling water for a few seconds ....... maybe 10 seconds.  A friend of mine does this with his lures that are store bought and swears it works to make them softer and sturdier 

Edited by rhahn427
  • Like 1

Might wanna keep eye on it when you reheat it the first time if its that old.... I had about 1 quart left in a gallon jug sitting around that was probably 3-4 years old and it must have absorbed moisture from sitting - it didn't get over 300 degrees before it became a foaming/bubbling mess.... 

J.

• Like 1