Chauncy kerstiens

Hello from south dakota

New member to this site and lure building and enjoy everything fish related. I build wood lures mainly for bass and pike. One day I just thought I'd try my hand at building lures and have made about 10 that I actually caught fish with and tossed alot of failures.i don't get too fancy with my paint jobs or anything , I use firewood and whatever I got laying around to see what I can frankenstein together. Amazing information on this site !!

21 minutes ago, Chauncy kerstiens said:

When I first started I didn't have the patience required because I only used a knife, sandpaper and a few files, so I ended up drilling holes with files and cracked alot of smaller projects

Sounds like you have started similar to myself 

Pocket knife, sandpaper, dremel, eye screws from the hardware store, and no clue or guidance is how I started lol

I owned a trout farm in the past so it was easy to test lures and plenty of time to slowly carve them. I carved a ton of crude lipless baits in that lime some had great action others were firewood. Basically I learned by making lots of junk and tested it lol

My lure quality has dramatically improved but I am still a little redneck in my methods 

You will find a real mix of knowledge here those who are very technical to those who just figure it out from trail and error 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Sounds like you have started similar to myself 

Pocket knife, sandpaper, dremel, eye screws from the hardware store, and no clue or guidance is how I started lol

I owned a trout farm in the past so it was easy to test lures and plenty of time to slowly carve them. I carved a ton of crude lipless baits in that lime some had great action others were firewood. Basically I learned by making lots of junk and tested it lol

My lure quality has dramatically improved but I am still a little redneck in my methods 

You will find a real mix of knowledge here those who are very technical to those who just figure it out from trail and error 

Hey nesccesity is the mother of all invention! If you've never failed you've probably never tried ! 

On 2/4/2021 at 6:52 AM, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Welcome I have made more reject lures then I can remember and still make them. I have learned a lot from mistakes when it comes to lure action 

If you have reject lures you wish to rework ask questions on the forum and members will likely be able to help you fix them or explain why it went wrong 

I had a question about my failed lure and no one is yet to respond been days and days.