Don Mang

I recently bought an airbrush kit. I also bought a pack of 2.5" unfinished crankbaits (Amazon). I want to use them for trout, I want to make sure I order the right size treble hooks. I use a size 12 regular hook, so I'm thinking if I order a 12 treble hook they'll be the same size, am I right? I'd also like to know some suppliers online, at this point the only one I know is Barlow's tackle. Any help in starting this hobby will be appreciated!

Thanks, Don

Can you post a pic or a link to the blanks you bought?

It would be hard to make a guess without seeing the shape of the blank. A fat bulbous blank may require a bigger hook possibly an upsized hook in a short shank version. Something bulbous like a wiggle wart usually takes a 6 or 4 treble. Something slender like a 2.75" Pin's minnow takes a size 10. The 2" Pin's minnow takes a size 12.

Thanks for posting the pics.  

I believe that crankbait blank is a knockoff of the River2Sea Snub 50 Crank. I have a couple and they came with two number 8 hooks. The size 8 hooks it came with touch each other but not enough so they hook each other. The body is very stubby with a big hump back. The pics don't do the stubbiness justice. It has a lot of bulk for such a short lure. The body itself without the lip is only around 1-7/8" or 50 mm long. The hook hangers are really close to each other  being only 1-7/16" or 36 mm apart center to center. 

If I was fishing it in water with bass or larger fish, I would use short shank size 6 hooks. I have also fished baits like this with just a tail treble hook in regular size or short shank 6. Because of how close the hangers are, your hook options are limited. So you should be looking at regular 8s and short shank 6s for this bait. Anything thing bigger will tangle.  Size 10 or 12 would be too small due to the girth of the lure.

river2sea snub 50.JPG

18 hours ago, Big Epp said:

Check out lurepartsonline.  They sponsor this site, and have a pretty good selection.

They also have hook size charts that might be helpful.

This is good advise. Go there and find a similar blank and in the description you will find the sizes for hooks, eyes ect.

Ok so yesterday, I did my first lure. Now I know it's not as good , as some of you seasoned painters. But I think it will be fishable. So I thought I'd show it. Since it's going to be 50 degrees later in the week, and PA had a pre-season trout stocking (catch & release) I hope to get out and try it, along with some refurbished spinners. Also painted a Mitchell 308, that was missing a lot of paint. The paint is a little dull but after it get's a clearcoat, I think it will pop. That has to wait till spring/summer to get it outside, I like to use Max 2K glamour clear on reels.

10.jpg

1.jpg

15.jpg