Fern

Black "Kill dots" on soft plastics.

Hey Everyone. Was wondering what you all use to paint your "kill dots" on your soft plastics. For a while I was using a sharpie but after it is clear dipped, it starts to bleed after a few days and the dot grows massively big and faded. Ruins the look of the bait altogether. I purchased some black mica powder but it doesn't come through very well. I have never used the "black dotting" paint from lureworks and I am hesitant to try it due to the shipping price from lureworks being about 9-10 dollars for as 3-4 dollar bottle. Does anyone know of any pen marker that will not bleed that i can pick up at Hobby Lobby or some art store. Also, for anyone that has used the black dotting paint from lureworks, how long doers a small dot take to dry before I can clear coat? The lure I attached below was painted with the mica powder but I feel like I need to apply a lot just to get it to show. 

629927435_bluegill2.0.jpg

2 hours ago, MEL said:

I use a hot glue gun.   Cut the black plastisol into small chunks and fill glue gun cavity.  Use a dowel  to force the

the black plastisol out of the gun. 

Thats a great idea, i actually forgot that i have a gluegun that i got from lureworks for this very reason, it comes with a tiny dowel to fill the cavity and it comes with a mold to fill with plastic with to make perfect plastic sticks to fill the guns cavity. Thanks for reminding me!

9 hours ago, Bass-Boys said:

Shipping cost are bad these days ,,

Maybe add a couple items that you will need later on  to your order ??

Gas is also almost $ 3.00 a gallon .

Do you think that bait pictured would be helped with a kill dot ? 

I actually just ordered from there, got a whole bunch of the sb c;ear coat stuff and forgot to add the black dotting paint. 

I dont think the bait pictured will benefit from a kill dot but I have other "shad" jigs that will definitely look the part with a kill dot. 

Recently i have been using the largest size black flake i have and crazy gluing it to those shad baits. you can see it in the attached picture. 

780696537_whiteflake.jpg

32 minutes ago, Bass-Boys said:

Wow,

gluing them would be challenging but it looks like does work !

It is, its a bit of a pain trying to get the perfect amount of glue on the area I want and then using tweezers to carefully lay the piece of flake down but its been working for me so far, it just gets messy and my finger tips end up coated in super glue. . Figured I would see if there were any easier solutions.  

On 2/23/2021 at 3:34 PM, wallyc14 said:

If you have clear you can make your own black with black plastisol colorant mixed with clear.

Thanks. I mixed some clear with black mica powder and its been working great just need to find a better was to apply it without leaving a large droplet. 

5 hours ago, Fern said:

Thanks. I mixed some clear with black mica powder and its been working great just need to find a better was to apply it without leaving a large droplet. 

What are you using now ? 

I use a tooth pick for small baits ,, the handle on a small paint brush for some, the big flat end of a wooden skewer on larger ones.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frank said:

You can use this with either paint. It has a few tip sizes for different size dots. Really easy to use and real consistent dot sizes. No air needed just fill and use. 
https://www.ispikeit.com/product/621/paasche-flow-pencil

Thank you! that looks like an awesome tool. Does it required to be cleaned between use? can I fill it and leave it? Is the cleaning process easy? 

8 hours ago, Frank said:

You can use this with either paint. It has a few tip sizes for different size dots. Really easy to use and real consistent dot sizes. No air needed just fill and use. 
https://www.ispikeit.com/product/621/paasche-flow-pencil

Frank, also do you have a video of you using it? would like to get an idea of how the paint flows on soft plastics. 

It does require cleaning but it is easy. Especially if you use the solvent paint, it will dry fast so it needs cleaning relatively quickly. To use it just pull the trigger back and a drop of paint will be at the tip, them just place it where you want it. For the next one just repeat the same thing. Basically it produces a drop at the tip and holds it there till you touch it on the bait. The tips are different sizes to make bigger or smaller drops. A video on this would be short and boring. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bass-Boys said:

What are you using now ? 

I use a tooth pick for small baits ,, the handle on a small paint brush for some, the big flat end of a wooden skewer on larger ones.

I was suing the back on of a paint brush but it would leave a huge droplet that would take a bit to dry and while drying, if moved, the drop would move a bit and leave streaks. I started using a q-tip yesterday soaked in the paint like a sponge and dabbing it on the baits. The pic shows the result of that.

155577043_10158926521625027_7661459421487167823_o.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank said:

It does require cleaning but it is easy. Especially if you use the solvent paint, it will dry fast so it needs cleaning relatively quickly. To use it just pull the trigger back and a drop of paint will be at the tip, them just place it where you want it. For the next one just repeat the same thing. Basically it produces a drop at the tip and holds it there till you touch it on the bait. The tips are different sizes to make bigger or smaller drops. A video on this would be short and boring. 

Thanks. Just purchased it, I am excited to use it when it comes in. So I am using SB Clear 3000 and black mica powder to make the kill dots. what is the best way to clean this stuff out, i have very little experience with it as i just go it and have just been mixing it in a tiny dixie cup. should i just run water through it?  

Hello Fern, just finished reading your post and was wondering what you thought about kill dot proportion/ size compared to eye size and pupil color.  Your pictured baits are finished very nicely. I am just getting into pouring swimbaits and wanted to gain information about adding detail to the baits. So thanks for that . I guess my question is should a kill dot be larger than the eye detail to be a worth while/ effective  added detail? Thanks for any feed back.