Fern

Tube Dudes! I need some help.

I was thinking of using a piece of 1 1/2"  +  copper pipe with a cap soldered on the end .  You could mount the pipe upright and fill it half way with hot plastic and dip the rod in to get the desired length with the dipping rod displacing the hot plastic higher up in the pipe . 

3 hours ago, jigmeister said:

I was thinking of using a piece of 1 1/2"  +  copper pipe with a cap soldered on the end .  You could mount the pipe upright and fill it half way with hot plastic and dip the rod in to get the desired length with the dipping rod displacing the hot plastic higher up in the pipe . 

Then maybe suspend the copper pipe in a bigger pipe filled with hot oil? Definitely need to make sure that pipes hot

Edited by RedRum

On 6/8/2021 at 7:02 AM, jigmeister said:

Yes that would work . Admittedly I haven't got around to trying this yet but I was thinking about hitting the copper pipe occasionally with a propane torch or keeping a heat gun on low pointed at the pipe to keep the temp up while dipping .

Propane torch probably too aggressive and you’ll have a good chance to yellow your plastic out

This is the only way I make tube baits. It's to bad these molds are no longer available because they shoot great and there is no cutting of the tails. I asked the manufacturer about a 6" or maybe a 7" tube mold but he wasn't very enthusiastic about it. :)

I did manage to get my hands on 3 2" molds and a pair of 3.5" molds from the last runs he did.

Bojon's wisdom was light to me when I started pouring my musky tubes. I am a fan of woodturning, so turning concave plugs for my pvc pipes was not much of a problem. I spray canola oil into the pipe and revolve it at a 45 degree angle or so, then pour the surplus back into my pyrex cup. A few coats like this, and I get to the thickness I need. I usually go for 2 coats inside the pipe, let it cool down, take it out, and dip the front half of the tube in the pyrex cup. As many have mentioned, if you put that hot pipe under cold tap water, make absolutely sure no water touches the hot plastisol.