Kyler M

Factory vs. ceramic bearings

I am thinking about switching all my reels bearings over to Speed Spool ceramic bearings especially in my Diawa Tatula SV’s and Shimano SLX does anyone have any experience with these? Are they smoother? Do they help with casting distance what’s the pros and cons? 

I don't know about the Daiwa, but the SLX has a fast set of bearing in it. I feel Shimano's ARB bearings are as smooth and fast as Boca' s for a little less coin...If you want the SLX to cast farther, take the spool bearings out, soak them in Brakleen and reinstall with no oil...they will be noisy and wear out faster....but spin like crazy...do not soak ARB's in any solvent based cleaner...

I installed fast eddy bearings ( which aren't  as good ceramics but, better than stock)  in my slx and it did gain a bit of casting distance.  I’m actually replacing the bushing in the slx with another bearing from fast Eddie’s.  Like I said they are not as good as ceramics but, you get 8-10 of them for $12.99 and they come with removable rubber seals on the sides.

I went this route for my sub $120 bait casters IE black maxx, pfluegar supreme,   Quantum accurist, and slx.  More expensive than that I’d probably spend the money on ceramics.