Steelhead Junkie

Dye Not Dissolving Into Plastic ?

Hey Guys

I have dead on plastic, purchased the "White swimbait/jerbait" and "Black Worm Soft/Medium

I have some straight white, straight black, and mixed some 50/50 

I'm new to all this but it doesnt seem right that this is happening

I have a few opaque colors that dissolve fine into the heated plastic ( like bubblegum, hot pink, black etc ) without issue

Typically i will heat in slow increments, stir, heat, stir etc. until past the gel stage and plastisol becomes clear and liquidly Usually around 320f ish

at that point I'll add dye & create a color, then heat in 30-60 secs at a time again until past 350f as recommended by dead-on , then pour.

So all my dyes are from Lureworks...The ones I'm having problems with are Blaze Orange 110 is 3 - TRANSLUCENT | SLIGHT BLEED, Cerise 211 is 3 - TRANSLUCENT |  SLIGHT BLEED &

Chameleon Dye 154 is 5 - TRANSPARENT | BLEED

I Have wasted too much plastic 

Now if i add the dye before heating the plastisol it dissolves totally fine, but this is useless as i cannot create any colors,  I would have to know recipes already

I am reaching out to Dead-On to see what they say but any ideas ?

20210329_182530.jpg

20210329_182541.jpg

20210329_194709.jpg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Steelhead Junkie said:

"Now if i add the dye before heating the plastisol it dissolves totally fine, but this is useless as i cannot create any colors,  I would have to know recipes already"

Invest some time and plastic doing controlled batches to see what works best for you, and keep good notes.

Did you mix(shake) the Colorant real well?

I might have some hard pack on bottom?

Squirt a few drops of colorant in a spoon, check to see if it has chunks in it?

If you have chunks in your colorant, you will need to stir the bottom of the bottle,

mix & shake until the chunks are gone. I don't think they will cook out.

I add a few small nuts(machine) in my colorant bottles to help the mixing process.

Good luck.

I see a constant in that the colors you list are translucent or slight bleed very little colorant in both.  

How I've mixed when creating a new color is a process of starting with a mix I already have a recipe for that's similar so I already have a base.  

If you don't have a base mix recipe then the best way to start is minimal colorant and work up.

I start with the same amount each time 8 oz.

I keep a mold handy of the configuration I'm making the color for so that with each additional color or drops I add I mix and will pour out a sample in the correct mold so I can see what I need to see.

Yes it is trial and error but it's controlled so the error possibility goes down and in the process you'll find that along the way you may create another color you'll want to use later and you'll have the recipe. 

• Like 1