UKandy

Carved lure centre line help!

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a nightmare :o I've carved a lure blank with flat sides but rounded edges, forgot to put a centre line in before hand.

Please can you advise if there is an easy way to help me find the centre line? So far I've tried calipers but the rounded edges are making it really hard to mark correctly, I've also tried balancing the blank on a knife edge but I've coated the blank in a sealer and it's shiny and just slipping.

Totally messed up here ain't I :D

Is it an eyeball job?

Andy.

Edited by UKandy

lay side down then put something flat on other flat side measure distance between, half what the distance is your center

easiest way to do it now is use an adjustable square, set it to the center measurement and put a pencil/pen and run it top and bottom.

My .02

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, azsouth said:

lay side down then put something flat on other flat side measure distance between, half what the distance is your center

easiest way to do it now is use an adjustable square, set it to the center measurement and put a pencil/pen and run it top and bottom.

My .02

Thank you my friend :yay: I will give it a go!

Andy.

Sort of similar to above.... you need to know your thickness first (of bait).  Once you have that... you can do any number of things but one easy way is to stack up wood/paper/post-it notes/etc. with a razor blade (or Xacto blade) on top with that stack measuring from the table to blade edge - half the bait thickness dimension.  Then push the blank past the blade to scribe a line all around.... and I'd scribe a line with both sides down... this way if your off a hair - you can see it and just drill/etc between the two scribe lines.

J.

• Like 1

I have to find "center" on a lot of odd shaped items for work.... benefit of doing both sides is you can "eyeball" center with your stack and scribe (don't bother measuring your part/bait to start)... then just see where the two scribes end up. 

Glue/taping a X-acto blade down on some post-it notes works great... as you can peel a few away or add more super easy to get center.  Same technic works to mark something if you wanna shave off material - say you make a make a .0625" stack and scribe if you wanna shave it down 1/16" of an inch... low tech and accurate!

J.

• Like 1

I have tried to make some complex lip designs and ran into a problem with cutting the lip slot to match the curve. Then I made the inserted portion straight then making the curves. I use steam from an old hair curling iron that I got from a hair salon. It works fairly well, but a bit hot if I'm not careful. I have three that I am going to test. Like all prototypes, it's hit or miss.