UKandy

Resin - wet on drill bit

Hi all,

So I had made a few resin blanks about 3 weeks back now, they have been sat indoors while I was ready to carry on with the next stage.

Today I drilled the eye holes on the blanks and notice on around 3 of them, that when the drill bit was reversed out of the hole it appeared to be a little wet.

Seems strange too me, all resin was mixed the same by weight, and well staired and the issue was only on 3 of the blanks, so I am a little bit confused.

I wondered if it could be the drill bit getting hot causing this? Or if it is indeed that the resin has not fully cured during this timescale? I would have thought 3 weeks was plenty for the resin to fully cure, but then again I'm pretty new to all this!

No issue with the outer structure of the blanks, they are all solid.

Do you see this causing a problem if an epoxy basecoat was applied before paint? I'm worried about the whole moisture thing, when it comes to the final lures.

I would rather get this sorted now if it's going to be an issue!

Thanks for any advice guys :yay:

Andy.

I can’t say I have noticed this issue with blanks I have poured out of alumilite while or when I tested smooth ons equivalent to it. I have not noticed it even when I have snapped the odd blank in half. Don’t ask sometimes my temper gets the best of me when a project goes wrong :whistle:

are you talking just damp but the bait is still solid all the way through?

I may have to check a recent reject blank for this 

Thanks for the input guys, I think I have it sussed now after a good few tests, it would appear that after a number of holes are drilled the problem occurs, this would suggest to me that it's the drill bit getting hot and melting the resin that I am seeing, I will however keep an eye on it!

The blanks seem solid right through, put it this way I wouldn't be snapping one lol

Andy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UKandy said:

Thanks for the input guys, I think I have it sussed now after a good few tests, it would appear that after a number of holes are drilled the problem occurs, this would suggest to me that it's the drill bit getting hot and melting the resin that I am seeing, I will however keep an eye on it!

The blanks seem solid right through, put it this way I wouldn't be snapping one lol

Andy.

If you are drilling to install hook hangers and tie points try pouring them into your blank. Saves time and easier to make them secure 

just something to consider 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

If you are drilling to install hook hangers and tie points try pouring them into your blank. Saves time and easier to make them secure 

just something to consider 

Cheers buddy that's the plan, these are my test blanks for use as the master in the next stage :yay: I see how putting the wire in the mold speeds everything up big style, so good advice & I will use it!

I just hope at least one of these testers has the action I'm looking for, it's taken me ages to get to this point, learning as I go though lol.

Andy.

2 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

I've had the same experience especially with "purer" resin blends (less microballons added) or if my drill bit isn't sharp. The resin is fully cured though and you shouldn't have any issues fishing the baits after you install the hardware.

Ahhh that is interesting info buddy, no microballoons added to this particular blank :yay:

It's a relief you have had the same issue & have given advice,

Thank you

Andy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UKandy said:

Ahhh that is interesting info buddy, no microballoons added to this particular blank :yay:

It's a relief you have had the same issue & have given advice,

Thank you

Andy.

Yessir! Straight resin is tough stuff. Microballoons will decrease the density and allow a drill bit to pass through much easier without melting it.

• Like 1