Kyler M

3.8" or 4.8"

For those of you that sell your plastics which do you guys find is the most popular swimbait size. (3.8" or 4.8") I normally only use these sizes and I'm hoping to buy a new mold in one of those sizes I just want to see what you all have the best luck selling. Thanks for the help!!

Hillbilly is soooooo correct.  In my area, the 3.8 or even smaller sells best because we use them for trout, and some Walleye and Bass.  The 4.8 still wells well because of the Walleye and Bass, but trout is king in the Intermountain West of the US so smaller is often better.

When I fished in the South in the US, 4.8 would have been considered the smallest, unless you were fishing them for Crappie.

Local markets or National Markets or International Markets, it all depends.

• Like 1

Ballpark guess, how much money per bait do you have in one? Not counting the cost of the mold. I know there's probably many variables that determine this answer, so maybe a range from least to most?

My son is wanting to start pouring lures to sell, trying to decide what all I would need & if there's any money in it. 

2 hours ago, JerryHargis said:

Ballpark guess, how much money per bait do you have in one? Not counting the cost of the mold. I know there's probably many variables that determine this answer, so maybe a range from least to most?

My son is wanting to start pouring lures to sell, trying to decide what all I would need & if there's any money in it. 

If he's actually wanting to be legit than you'll have to figure federal excise tax in too on top of everything else . There's several guys here that can explain it to you or use the search function & look it up. Most of us start out thinking that then realize how much time is involved & usually just end up making stuff for ourselves & buddys. Maybe trade some with other bait makers for stuff they make is pretty enjoyable too. If i were doing it as a kid i'd just do it on a cash basis & know who i was dealing with.  :yay:

Edited by Les Young
  • Like 2